Sunday, November 3, 2013

Recovering in My Recliner

The Big Move has happened.
 Our home away from home all week.
 One last little fix.

Ready!

Friday morning Tom and I finished up preparation work at the new house.  In the afternoon we picked up the kids from school - early release Friday- and took them over to the rental house where we took apart the bunk bed and did some packing up in preparation for moving on Saturday.

Saturday was a whirlwind.  Literally.  We had a terrific wind storm that had leaves dancing down the streets and limbs taking out power lines.  Tom and Jill got an early start, picking up a rental moving van at 7:00.  Jill's cousin Scott was on hand by 8:00 and he and Tom began loading furniture.  Sister-in-law Jan arrived to help with packing up the kitchen.  
 All the pretty leaves were blowing in the wind.  soon they will be gone for another year..
 The wolverines were victorious.
So were the Mud dogs, but by the end of the match Irene didn't care.

I had Soccer Mom duty.  I took Isaac  across town to play his 9:30 match in the wind, then to my house to warm up before meeting Jill and Irene at the storage unit where I traded kids and took Irene across town to her 12:30 match, where we were almost blown off the field.  After her match she was very cold and we came home to my house to warm up and get some late lunch.

During this time, I was getting updates about the moving progress: the emptying out of the rental house, the emptying out of the storage unit, waiting for aid for the flat time on the fully loaded moving van, hearing that the power was out at the new house, final unloading at the new house.  Jill  had wonderful help from her Cousin Scott, Cousin Mike, brother Jake, friends April and JT, Aunt Jan and, of course, her dad, Tom.  Irene and I got to the new house just in time to get a quick look before the action switched back to my house.

We regrouped, arranged for the baby sitter and food for the kids and geared up, and then Jill, Tom and I were off to the Sounders soccer match.  The wind storm had passed and we were very lucky to have escaped any rain during any of our comings and goings all day.  

 On the train, where everyone plays with their phones.
 My rowdy fulbol seat mates, who were in front of us and made us stand for the whole match.


Our tifo greeting for Portland came back to haunt us.  Jake and Jill helped deploy.

The Sounders were not so lucky to escape the onslaught of their arch rivals, the Portland Timbers, and we lost the first half of the semi-finals play off round, 2-1. Action resumes Thursday in Portland.  I will gladly watch from home. 

Jill and the kids stayed overnight with us. Today, Sunday, after a somewhat slow start, we had to go over and clean the rental house ( I got to scrub another kitchen :-).  and load more stuff, including the last things to be moved, the three cats.  That took a lot of work, but we were done a little after noon, and we were off to Jill's new home.  There we unloaded, transferred the food to the house refrigerator, found a few essentials, settled the cats, went to lunch, started laundry, and got the beds assembled.  

Tom and the kids stayed on to get the bedrooms set up while Jill and I came home to park ourselves in the recliners and watch the last quarter of the Seahawks football game.  Maybe we brought good luck.  The Hawks came from 21 points down to win in overtime!  Tom and the kids arrived as the game ended and Jill and the kids then went home, to their new home, where they will be unpacking for weeks, and Tom and I will be back to help.

Tom just got up from a short nap in his recliner.  Josy just appeared from her closet nest, wondering if it was safe around here yet.  She heard the quietness, finally.  

I need to get up and fix some supper.  I think I have  plan, if I can get myself going. 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a little cleaning and laundry in my own house, and go for a walk for the first time in a full week.  Just going for a walk all by myself sounds lovely. It would be nice to have a little of that sun shine that I had to work through during the week and today.  It's cold now, but sun is sun!


12 comments:

  1. well, I think soon now you will be able to resume your own life. All that hard work has paid off and is now behind you! Jill and the kids have a lot more, though, ahead. Congratulations! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of activity the past few days! Enjoy your alone time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a whirlwind of activity! Glad that Jill and your grandkids are in their new home. What a fun adventure for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear the move is complete. It takes awhile to unpack. You packed a lot into one weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Won't take them long to settle in. Whew!! The move is over. I'm exhausted just reading about your last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, what a busy, jam-packed weekend! Any one of those things would have been enough for one day.

    Congratulations to Jill and the kids on their new home.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving is such a lot of work, but how wonderful for Jill and the kids to be in their own home at last. You deserve a long, quiet walk in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't overdo yourself...a little late now for that advice. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to know the move is over!
    W hat a whirlwind in every sense !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lot of work, but it paid off. Jill is lucky that she has such caring people to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard about the storms and am surprised that they would still hold kids soccer matches.
    I know you will be happy to care for your own home for a while. Relax a while first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really exciting to see Jill's home taking shape. She's really lucky to have parents who are talented at home repair, renovation and maintenance. I'm very excited for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.