Thursday, January 2, 2014

It's Time For a Glass of Wine

I'm supposed to be on a diet, or at least counting my calories in order to shed a few pounds before January 31st.  But we have some lovely cheese that Tom got for Christmas  and some nice white wine we didn't drink over the holidays, and I'm tired and my back hurts and so I have decided that dinner can wait while I recover in my recliner with some cheese and wine.  And my laptop right here by my chair means I can post on my blog without moving, and I am not ready to move.

This morning I went for a four mile walk and then did some stretching exercises before going to my Group Health clinic to have lab work and an EKG done.  That involved four vials of blood and getting hooked up to electrodes, but all quick and painless.  On the way home I stopped at Safeway to do the grocery shopping.  

By the time I got the groceries put away it was 1:00, time for my lunch hour.  I do take an hour for lunch most days, time to eat some yogurt with blueberries, a small apple, and a few nuts, followed by my "latte", decaf coffee and microwaved skim milk, and some chocolate.  While I eat I read the paper and work several of the puzzles.  This in my down time during the day.

After lunch I got to work on the undecorating.  When you have a lot of decorations it takes a long time to put them up, and almost as long to take them down and store them away again. 

started on New Years Eve day, and worked more yesterday, New Years Day, and got it all done except for the tree. I had company yesterday.  The grandkids were here for four hours while Jill played soccer.  They spent an hour on the computer, had lunch, and then, with a few suggestions from me, they managed to entertain themselves most of the time.

There was a fort in the dining room, which I had already undecorated. 

So now the tree is gone and all the ornaments are stored away. Tom got some of the outside lights put away, helped finish the tree and got the storage tubs in the attic.  The downstairs is dusted, vacuumed and dust mopped.  Most non-holiday things are back in place.  I still have to move my pottery back onto the shelves that the Santa collection has vacated. I  might do that this evening, after a bit more rest.

Tom worked at Jill's house this morning, cutting up some fire wood so they can use the fireplace Tom got fixed up.  He'll be back there tomorrow afternoon when the hot tub guys come out to finish up the fixing of that device.  Jill and the kids toasted new beginnings in their new home on New Years Eve, and gladly put 2013 behind them.  

Tomorrow morning we will have our usual Friday morning breakfast with friends, I'll get in my walk, and finish the house cleaning upstairs.  I have some closets and cupboards to dig out.  I know that gift I bought for my sister-in-law last summer is stuck away somewhere.  

Who knows what else I'll find.





8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself in just the way that works for you. It's good you can write without moving anything much, so you can rest! You've got a lot on your plate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Linda! You got a ton done. I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish. You deserve all the down time you can fit in. Four miles? Wow! I'm proud if I get a mile and a half in. Four vials of blood sounds like a lot. I hope the wine and cheese gave you a moment of relaxation and enjoyment. You deserve it. By the way, every time I look at your renovated house, I sigh. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are absolutely amazing to walk 4 miles, then get all of that done! Your home is so beautiful, but since I have only seen photos with the lovely Christmas decorations it seems a little naked now. I can hardly wait to see what you put on those shelves. I was just telling my daughter yesterday how beautiful your decorations were and how I could see the lighted deer and such out the windows....just so pretty and festive. Next year I am going to decorate whether I feel like it or not! You inspired me. Have a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Feng Sui expert told me that one way to be lucky this year is to re-arrange furniture at home and redecorate so what you are doing is probably be lucky. :) Happy new year and good luck on the diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Feng Sui expert told me that one way to be lucky this year is to re-arrange furniture at home and redecorate so what you are doing is probably be lucky. :) Happy new year and good luck on the diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Christmas tree is gone, too. I love the festivities during the holidays, but welcome the ordinary days afterwards, too. I hope Jill's house is soon fixed up permanently and that Tom can relax with you in your own home. Blessings to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make me feel like a colossal slacker. I could have easily divided up your one day into several.
    The bad thing about decorating is that first day after they come down. Kinda of hard to return to normal which was fine before all the color arrived.
    Loved the play fort, I remember those well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good for you, relaxing definitely needs a place on our agendas. We still haven't undone Christmas yet...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.