Saturday, January 18, 2014

Movies and Football

DJan beat me to it.

She says it's partly my fault that she cares about the Seahawks, who are playing in the NFC Championship game against their arch rivals, the San Francisco 49ers, on Sunday.  

DJan says she can't stand to watch an important game she cares about.  She will be going to the movies, finishing up her viewing of the Academy Award nominated movies.

I will be watching the game, and pacing the floor.  A recent report says being a sports fan is good for you, that whether your team wins or loses, it's about the passion.  I hope that's right.  There is an awful lot of passion here in Seattle right now.

Son Jake and Daughter Jill will be going to the stadium for the big game.  Jill managed to score some tickets.  We'll have the grand kids here.  Isaac says he might not be able to watch either.

And we are working on our movie list too, but we got a late start, and because my back surgery is in two weeks, we have a short timeline.

Last night we saw Philomena and American Hustle.  Philomena was wonderful: a moving, heartwarming story of human nature that was very well acted.  Dame Judi is always so good.

American Hustle is promoted as a comedy.  Nobody laughed.  Granted, there weren't many people at the 9:45 showing, but obviously none of us thought it was very funny.  It was a great re-creation of the sleazy 70's, the hair, the make up, the costumes, the music, again the HAIR!  The acting was very good. But the whole thing was just rather baffling. 

Tonight we will go see Dallas Buyers Club.

Tomorrow we will watch football.

In football and in movie awards there are winners and losers.

By tomorrow evening some of us will already have experienced the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat.  

Ah, passion!

12 comments:

  1. I'm not a sport fan or current movie buff. Watch just a few on netflix. My hubby's boat won't be left natural color because it's too much upkeep to redo every few years while a painted boat last much longer-less upkeep. it will have a natural wooden interior and trim. It's really coming along nicely now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Dallas Buyers Club" would be my pick, of the ones I've seen, for Best Picture. "Her" was... interesting, sweet but also sad. I think "American Hustle" is being overhyped. I loved the twist at the end, "Philomena" is all Judi Dench, which is wonderful. "Gravity" was beautiful to look at but the story line underwhelmed me. "Capt. Phillips" was really good, Tom Hanks was robbed. "Saving Mr. Banks" was good for Emma Thompson, I thought. The other two I haven't seen yet ("Wolf of Wall Street" and "12 Years a Slave.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. We skipped the Oscar nominated movies and went and say the new Jack Ryan movie. It was just average, but I do enjoy a CIA action movie! We'll have the game on because the spouse is a fan, but I'll be reading and just responding, "Yes, dear." When the spouse wants to rehash a play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David will watch both games on Sunday and is rooting for SF and Denver to win. He loves to watch movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My expat-Seattle family will be watching from Walla Walla, even me. Just found your blog recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I very much want to see Philomena. I love Judi Dench, she's wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I haven't seen American Hustle, but I have been very confused over it being considered a comedy. It just doesn't strike me as comedy material. Sounds like you have a good weekend lined up, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great read. Each one of us are really different but we do love movies. Like what they say in Vietnam, Same Same but Different.


    Oman Is An Island

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been drawn in as a sports fan--which makes me the real odd ball in my family. So I do understand about the tension of to watch or not to watch, to wear the right shirt or hat, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I don't have a dog in that particular fight, I will be rooting for the Seahawks for you and Djan. If it ends up being them and the Broncos in the big one, I will have to jump ship. I do love Payton.
    Philomena is the only one on my list. I like a good story with a feel good ending. I can get all the dysfunction I need reading the papers or watching the news. I have no urge to pay to watch it.
    Wishing your team luck today. Go Seahawks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I care about them too because of you
    came by to tell you I'm rooting for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well we will be watching THE game from our TV room. Munching away on goodies.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am waaay behind on seeing any movies. We did see Gravity. Hmmm... what else? Sheesh! I can't remember. I do want to see Philomena, but with our track record I'll have to catch it on Redbox. Lots of Hawaii folks are rooting for the Seahawks.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.