Thursday, January 23, 2014

Project Me Continues

As I count down to January 31st, I have decided to devote these last two weeks to myself.  

To that end, each day I have walked 3.5 miles at about 3.35 miles per hour, or ridden on my stationary bike 10 miles, about 45 minutes, and then I have made myself do all of my long list of physical therapy type exercises.  I have also been trying to limit my calories and practice moving without twisting or bending. 
Today was a lovely day, a high of 49 and wonderful sunshine to walk in.

Monday was a day for recovering.  That football game took a lot out of me, and that seemed to be the situation for a lot of folks around here.  It's a good thing it was a holiday.  

I wanted that win badly, not just for the Seahawks football team, but for the city.  Jill was at the game and she reported that there was such an outpouring of joy as people streamed out of the stadium and into downtown.  There was cheering and yelling and honking, traffic at a standstill, and random hugging of strangers.  She says she hugged at least 50 people, none of whom she knew.

Tuesday I went downtown to Virginia Mason Medical Center to have blood samples drawn to be sent to the blood bank, just in case.

Wednesday I had lunch with retired teachers and staff from my former school.  Today I went to the eye doctor for an eye exam and to order new eye glasses.  

Tomorrow we'll have breakfast with teacher friends from Tom's former school, as we do every Friday.  Saturday we have a field trip with our garden club in the morning and then a birthday party in the evening.  I think Sunday is blank!

Monday I go to Group Health Medical Center for my bi-annual echo cardiogram and then a consult with a cardiac doctor.  I don't expect any bad news here, other than a continued gradual progression of my aortic stenosis.  Like my minor cataract issue, that's something for down the road.  One thing at a time.

Tom has been busy pruning in the yard, getting Jill's hot tub finally fixed, and today, going with me to his own eye appointment.  He has a bacterial eye infection that we hope to get cleared up fast.  

We have also added a few more movies to our watched list:  Dallas Buyers Club, American Hustle, and 12 Years a Slave.  Dallas and 12 Years are both very good.  Don't bother with Hustle.

Football has been the talk of the town around here, and will be until the Super Bowl.  And just in case I am not able to wear my jersey in the hospital, I solved the problem of team support apparel.
I bought a scarf!

Go Hawks!

14 comments:

  1. The scarf is great. You are really getting ready for the surgery. I understand the one thing at a time business. I am working on getting my hip and neck in shape so I don't have as much pain. I am finding that aqua Pilates, and restorative yoga have been really helping. I try to do these three times a week. I also go to the Y and walk two miles at least three days a week. I don't like to walk outside in the wind and we have had a lot of it lately. I'm not trying to lose weight. That would be nice though. I'm just trying to keep moving and keep my A1c from going over the edge where I am a full blown diabetic. Moving is the answer. I will take that answer and go with it.

    Best to you on your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive thoughts your way and praying for your surgeon to be guided during the surgery. Hope to read many posts from you before the surgery comes though, and many soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me time is important! As long as you do the things you really enjoy. You are getting all your ducks in a row for the surgery. Great looking scarf and your forehead is looking better too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, one thing at a time. I hope Tom's eye problem clears up quickly. My husband Nigel had an eye infection many years ago that left him with a large scar on one cornea, that makes it hard for him to drive. In fact, I don't let him drive any more. Glad to see it looks like your black eyes have gone. I hope your back surgery goes well and that you recuperate quickly and end up pain-free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you exercise a lot. Good luck with the surgery, and good luck to the Seahawks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of you every time I look down at my fingernails, Linda. This is fun! And you sure do look good in that scarf. Glad to hear you are spending these two weeks taking care of Number One! We are ALL Number Twelves. Go Hawks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with it all, your eyes are looking better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see that some of the results of your fall are disappearing. You are doing the right thing by getting out there and doing what you did before. This old teacher also appreciates the time spent with colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All success with your surgery, prayers too. Good for you for keeping in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep moving! It is the most important thing we can do for our health. I know a bunch of people our age who are in wheel chairs, so you walking every day is inspiring. Good luck with the surgery. Love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see your face has cleared except for that bullet hole looking thing. Love your scarf.
    You are so smart to be taking such good care of you self. With any structural surgery, the stronger your muscle support, the quicker the recovery. You are doing everything just right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When health things pike up, one thing at a time is the best way to go....hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such an inspiration to me! How do you do so much? I plan to do a lot, but planning is about as far as I get. I love the scarf. That is a great picture. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you that you're doing everything you can to keep healthy! I love your scarf. I see that your eye is healing. It doesn't have the bruising anymore. I hope your head gets better fast too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.