Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Weather Permitting

We have been keeping late hours.  We settle in for the long dark evenings with the  lap top and tablet and smart phones and giant TV and the kitty.   At 11:00 we go to bed and read until midnight.  So we are not early risers.  I had some trouble sleeping last night, and was very surprised to see that it was 8:30 when I finally woke up.  It takes a while to get going, but when we finally do, we get things done. 

There are always jobs to do here at the Reeder Homestead.  Yesterday we got the housework and laundry done.  

Today we got outside.  A windstorm in early December, maybe - I can't remember exactly, brought down some old Pacific Dogwood trees that had succumbed to Anthracnose, a fungal disease killing many of our lovely native flowering dogwoods.  One of them landed on the deck trellis.

We put the job off through the holidays and then scheduled the clean up for this week, weather permitting.  Today it permitted.

Tom wielded the chain saw.  I held the "logs", and then did a lot of the picking up.

We started a new woodpile where we had just used up wood from a previous wind storm generated clean up here in Reeder Garden.
 And we filled yard waste bins full of the small branches.
 Now the deck is free of fallen trees again. Unfortunately, it is rotting out and will have to be replaced.  That will have to wait awhile.
It was nearly 2:00 before we had lunch.  Then it was time for me to go for my walk.  Of course we were already tired from our morning of logging, but Tom surprised me by deciding to go with me, because he said he would just stiffen up if he sat and read.

The weather today was overcast, but dry and mild, about 50°, great for walking.  I led Tom on my usual 3.5 mile route, but left him on a park bench to play with his phone whole I did the final few laps in the park.


The sun peeked out from under the clouds in the late afternoon, and I actually saw my shadow!
It looks like we'll have dry weather all week!  The weather will permit more walking and working outside. That makes me happy.

10 comments:

  1. Such green grass it almost hurts my eyes. We settle in doing about the same things minus phones and of course with Chance:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for weather dry enough to play outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of wood for the fireplace. Good thing Tom has a good chain saw. Glad you've got sun too. The weather has been very changeable over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures. I really should do some walking outside, too. However, hula videos keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like we've got a spate of good weather ahead of us, at least for the next week or so, maybe even two! Plenty of time to walk, and the days are getting longer, can you tell? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressed that you decided to take a walk after logging. You do make me feel like a slacker.
    That really is the color of grass?? Mine is a light beige.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good for you-I have no excuse not to walk more-our weather is sunny and 60 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful weather for a walk and pictures. We've had quite a wind but its been warm, must get out in it while we can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My back is finally feeling better and I have been out there already in the garden this week in the dry weather. I have so much catching up to do. My yard waste bin already looks a lot like yours, full to overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love it when you see your shadow after gloomy days?

    We keep about the same hours. At times, I feel guilty because we sleep so late and don't get going until the day is half over. Like you, we read very late after we go to bed. We worked so many years where we were up so early that we try to just enjoy not living by the bell any longer.

    Despite the fact that you get up late and get a late start, you both get a lot more done in one day than we do. I guess I am glad we don't have our big yard to maintain anymore after all. It is a lot of work. On the other hand, your yard is so lovely. That is your reward for the effort.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.