Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Celebrating and Recovering

We watched the Super Bowl together and we celebrated the victory.  
Of course I was distracted by physical discomfort, but I was very happy to be home.

The time in the hospital was mostly sleepless.  The first night someone nearby on the floor was out of his mind and kept setting off his bed alarm, which beeped very loudly to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb". At one point there was screaming and running.  I asked the next morning about it.  The patient had punched a nurse and I think had attacked a second one.   

My roommate, who was getting a lot of counseling about what to expect with the brain tumor that has just been discovered, moved out the next day.  It was quiet until the next roommate came.  She was an elderly Japanese lady, not very proficient in English, who kept having episodes.  She had just had neck surgery and had been moved up from another floor.  First she didn't like the room and wanted to go back to where she was.  Then the moaning and gasping and hard to describe sounds began.  She needed to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes and needed help with this.  Because she wanted to go on her own, they put a bed alarm on her so she would wait for help.  Then they didn't turn it off when they got her up.  Mary Had A Little Lamb was now right there in my room, loud, piercing, endless.  The patient talked the day nurse into letting her use a bed pan but when the shift change came she had to beg and beseech all over again, trying to be understood as she repeated "bed pan".  Of course they wouldn't just tell her "no".

This was now the pattern all night long.  I yelled at the staff a few times, hit the call button a few times when the patient was in distress and now one came (I guess they had it figured out by now) and finally just gave up and tried to stay as comfortable as possible,  I think I got an hour of sleep.

I was recovering well from my back surgery but I was still surprised when I was asked the next  morning if I was ready to go home. I wasn't sure I was but I knew I couldn't take another sleepless night.

I had been eating light, mostly loose meals and tried to get up and move often but the intestinal gas was building up.  The ride home was painful because I felt every bump be also because of the intense gas pressure.  

I spent most of the football game feeling miserable, vomiting, and trying to keep my meds down.  But I was happy to be home with my family, my TV and my chair.  

I got a very good night's sleep Sunday night, such a relief.  But now with my digestive system a mess of constipation, gas pressure and nausea, I ended up back at the hospital to be checked out for blockage (none) and get an IV drip for dehydration.  I also got anti-nausea medication and that has helped.  I can now eat and drink and take my meds, but things are not moving yet, if you know what I mean, and that situation is getting a bit desperate.

We have cut back on the trouble causing oxycodone but now my back hurts more and it's hard to find a comfortable position.

This morning I don't know If I will be able to handle this on my own of if I will need more medical attention.

Tom is being a wonderful nurse and is taking good care of me.  


14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Linda! That sounds absolutely AWFUL! I'm glad you've got your wonderful family caring for you. I'm also glad the Seahawks came through for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will most likely have the constipation problem until you are done with the Oxycodone, it is a bugger. Drink lots of fluids..and I mean lots. Try some prunes too..it might take many days to straighten out. My husband takes oxycodon on a regular basis so it is a struggle. His Neurologist recommended Colase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me of the pelvic fracture I endured in 2000. It was a week before they finally gave me the enema that I had needed for relief. I relied on Fleet enemas until I was off the Oxycontin. You have my complete sympathy and understanding, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds just awful. It seems as though sometimes the cures are worse than the original problems and it is so true that a hospital is not place to be sick. I am hoping that things start turning around very soon. At least your team won!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was truly a horrible hospital experience. Bless your heart, hope things move along for you soon. I thought of you all during the Super Bowl. Get Better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your pain and discomfort, Linda. I hope your situation improves. I am glad Tom is helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not good, Linda. I hope you get to feeling better. I don't think they should send you home until it is proven all systems are working. I sure do understand why you wanted out of there. Your experience in the hospital sounds absolutely miserable. I've become a real mama bear in such situations with my hubby. I've thrown a fit and/or insisted his doctor got involved to get him a better room before. Sometimes, there simply aren't any private rooms. Hang in there. I'm glad Tom is there with you 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, what an ordeal your stay in the hospital was. I have never been able to sleep in the hospital either, even without a roommate. I sure hope things start getting better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are home with your family. You have a wonderful family! So happy the Sea Hawks won...especially for you all! I hope you get better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We find out how fortunate we are when we can stay out of the hospitable. I hope that you get over the ichy time of recovery quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a struggle in the hospital-hope you can work out your difficulties at home and heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How dreadful! I hope things get moving for you soon and you heal quickly so that the pain will just be a bad memory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I was the only person to have a terrible time with room mates... Every single time except for ICU. Oh nausea and pain meds. It is awful, I know. Seems like they could find a different class of pain med to see if you tolerate it better and get some pain relief. I am sorry Linda.... I did watch your team win because it was your team... Feel better...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear sorry for your discomfort. Sleepless nights and pain are just no fun. You wonder if maybe you should have well enough alone. but no--you will recover.
    Yes wasn't it exciting to have the Seahawks win so BIG!!!.
    I hope things get moving soon--very soon. that help so much.
    Take care, MB

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.