Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Awareness

It's easy to go through life not paying much attention to the plight of others.  I know.  I do it very successfully.

We hear about suffering on the news every day, and unless we have a personal connection, we tend to just move on and not let it affect us. The problems are so big, so insurmountable, that what can we do anyway?

I just finished reading Never Fall Down, by Patricia McCormick, who tells the true story of Arn, who is just a kid when the Khmer Rouge overruns his world and his life in Cambodia, and plunges him into the middle of the Killing Fields.

I knew a little about this horrific period of genocide, but really a very little, because I was busy with my own life, and just didn't pay much attention.  This book sort of slapped me up the side of the head.

I have just started my next book, another one recommended by fellow bloggers, Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity.   This is not going to be light reading either - more unimaginable suffering, I'm sure. Hopefully it will add to my awareness of the hardships of others.  In turn, I should be flooded with gratitude at my good fortune to be born in my time and place and circumstances.

On the NBC Nightly News this week, a series on the plight of the children of Syria is being featured. Syria's brutal civil war has created the worst humanitarian crisis in the world right now, as children and families suffer unimaginably.


I'm paying attention.  I'm trying to catch up to what's really going on there.  As always when adults resort to war, the children suffer.  I paid attention to the "How you can help" information, followed the links at NBCNEWS.com/Nightly News. and made a donation to Mercy Corp.

It's the least I can do.

13 comments:

  1. Awareness is something we all need to come any where near being able to cope/understand/help those in our world having to deal with the things that you have written about. And for us to help in whatever way that we can -- small/large/whatever. A very moving post, Linda. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you need to beat yourself up over caring for only so much. I think we care for what we can handle. If we went further we would become a basket case and be good for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to be aware even for those situations where it would seem we have no control, no ability to make the slightest difference. I was listening to NPR, an interview with Ben Affleck and his efforts in the Congo to end violence, especially violence against women. That same night the evening news was about how nothing would change about the handling of sexual assault in our own nation's military culture. So very sad, so not okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a sad world we live in and our youth are mostly unaware as they play with their electronic toys...and want more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my ancestors .. many generations back... came from Persia (Iran). I say THANK YOU LORD real often that I was not born there. I am very happy to be American.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes have to take "news fasts" so that I can actually continue to realize the state of the world. I bleed for those who cannot escape the awfulness of their situation. But I must try not to become overwhelmed or, as Red said, I'd be a basket case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandkids are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too saw the news. It was very sad to see that they don't have proper facility. We sometimes tell wrong having all the facilities.
    Awareness should come to one and all and do something for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not ignore these stories and I am really afraid that the increase in poverty and rejection is going to bring about a world revolution over the years. It has to happen because so many need basics and so few have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so fortunate to have lived for generations in the USA. I also read stories like you described, but I can't do very many in a row without feeling totally helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many situations that cause our hearts to break. I help where I can, vote where I think it may help but often avoid the news for there is no end to the suffering. We have to find the one area where we can actually help and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have so much over here. It is easy to forget about others who have so little. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.