Saturday, August 9, 2014

Home From the Sea - Part 1

Last Monday we made the long drive to Rockaway Beach on the Oregon Coast.
Overlook from Neakanie Mountain on Hwy 101

We arrived at the family cabin expecting to be in a construction zone, but work had not progressed beyond raising the cabin. This is preparation for pouring concrete pillars to elevate the old cabin, recently added on to, above the tidal storm surge.
You can see the cabin as it used to be on my side bar.

It was mid-afternoon when we arrived, and Jill and the kids were just behind us. We got moved in and then went out on the beach to walk and play and run around.
 Our part of the beach was in fog when we arrived, but cleared off as we played.



We cooked dinner and then came back outside in evening for a stroll and to enjoy the golden hour.


Back inside some of us spent the evening playing games.

 Tuesday we went into Tillamook to shop for groceries and school clothes on sale at Fred Meyer. We used up the morning,  so after lunch we got back out on the beach.


 The kids played in the creek and dug in the sand.

 Jill walked to the Tillamook Bay jetty and back
After a dinner of take-out fish and chips, we took our evening stroll.

With clear weather at the beach, we had the typical north wind that comes up in the afternoons.  It kept us inside in the evenings, so we played games and read and fiddled with electronics, of course.

Wednesday morning the Bayfront Bakery in Garibaldi was finally open, and that's where we went for a late breakfast.  Jill was up to her normal standard of indulging.


That's my favorite apple fritter in the front.  Jill's dish is the one behind mine.↑

After all that we needed to walk so we went to the Garibaldi Marina to walk on the docks.  It was warm and still calm, and just lovely.


Looking for fish ↑



 Shrimp boats ↑



 An oyster boat ↑




 Look, Grandma Andrea.  Your boat is still here! ↑


There's more eating and more playing to come in Part 2. 
Stand by!




16 comments:

  1. I always feel so included in your wonderful adventures, Linda. This one is no different. I think I imagined eating Jill's luscious sweets for the first time today, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun to have such a lovely place to go. I've been to Northern California on 101, but have not been up into Oregon. Another day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet photos! I love apple fritters, too. I have never been to the PNW, but David has (before we got engaged).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the docks and boats. I like walking on these docks .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the Oregon Coast! It is so beautiful there. Love that Tillamook Cheese too Smoked Cheddar is my favorite! Your photos are all lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oregon is one state I've never been to. I can clearly see that I need to put it on my list!! What a beautiful place and what fun you are all having!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun photos, makes me want to take a vacation now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip, I could just about smell the salt air on the docks. Lived in Rockaway as child, your pictures brought back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun and relaxing time! Lucky Jill, to be able to eat all that sugar and white flour. It would make me as jittery as several cups of strong coffee. I love the rock formation out there in the water. It looks like a dragon dipping its head into the water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the beech shot of kicking the ball, silver ocean and shadows.
    Jill can eat all that and still stay slim? Not fair.
    What a beautiful place you get to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy busy with lots to do. Lovely time of year at the ocean. Great pictures. MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just knew it would something special. Worth the wait! I would love to see the Oregon coast. My sister wants to leave North Carolina and move to Oregon. They vacationed there a few years back. I loved the pictures. Jill is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've really made us feel like part of your family, Linda. I just smile looking at your photos. Your header shot is.... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of these summers we'll have to make a trip to the Oregon Coast as I've seen so many gorgeous images of the area like the ones you posted! Beautiful! Thanks for letting us come along virtually on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.