When Jill and the kids moved into their house a little over a year ago, they were very excited about the hot tub on the deck. But alas, that old tub had serious plumbing problems and after much fixing that didn't work, the decision was made not to pour any more time or money into it.
The tub was in an enclosure that looked like a garden shed. The shed blocked the deck from having any real view of the yard. It was scheduled for demolition.
Today was the day. Jill rented a truck and recruited her brother, her dad, her friend Steve and her Aunt Jan to help. I was in charge of lunch and whatever.
When I arrived later in the morning, deconstruction had begun.
Shortly thereafter Jill arrived with the rental truck. She asked Steve to back it up into the yard. And there it remained for the next almost two hours, stuck.
Yup, that truck was stuck. After trying many different means of extraction, Jan finally used her little Subaru and pulled it onto firmer ground. We put the truck back in the driveway, and work on the shed resumed.
This work was too heavy for me, so I gardened.
I cleaned up the dead plants around Irene's tree in the pot on the front porch, and added some pretty primroses I had picked up on the way over this morning. Then I weeded and removed dead annuals in the beds along the front of the house.
Irene hugged me and said that "Treey" was very happy to be cleaned up and pretty again.
It was about 4:30 when the shed was reduced to pieces and the pieces had been stuffed onto the unstuck truck. We all helped with the clean up. It was a lot of hard work, and everyone was glad it was done in time to get the debris to the dump.
A local hot tub company will be coming to salvage anything they might be able to use from the defunct tub. Later in the spring we'll add railings and pressure wash and repaint the deck. Jill vows that there will be another hot tub back in that spot someday, just open air this time.
There's always work to do in an older home.