Saturday, January 17, 2015

It's Movie Season

We don't go to many movies during the year, and while we have movies On Demand with Comcast and Amazon Prime,  we don't watch very many of those either.  We like quality films, and there just aren't that many of them.

However, once the Oscar nominations are out, I like to see all of the nominated movies, and as many of the lead actor roles as we can get to. 

So far we have seen four of the eight nominated movies.  We liked The imitation Game very much, and thought Benedict Cumberbatch was wonderful as Alan Turing.  We were not at all thrilled with Birdman, but Michael Keaton was very good in the lead role.

Yesterday we saw Boyhood, which is now out on DVD, so we watched  it at home.  This movie was made over twelve years, and chronicled a fictional family, and especially the boy, as he grows from a young child to an 18 year old, off to college.  Tom and I both liked it very much, both for story and character development. It was intriguing to see how see how the characters changed, who came and went, and who stayed around for the whole twelve years. 

Tonight we went to the theater to see The Theory of Everything, the portrayal of the life on Stephen Hawking.  Eddie Redmayne was amazing in the lead role as the young and funny Stephen who matures into the older, extremely disabled, but still funny Professor Hawking. The story is sweet and touching and sad and victorious!

I already have my favorites, with four more to go.

10 comments:

  1. I very much want to see The Theory of Everything. I'm curious about Boyhood too, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just saw Boyhood a few days ago too. At first Art wasn't too interested. I was intrigued. No car chases or science fiction which is what Art likes. However, we soon became engrossed and really enjoyed it. It was all very well done. I'd like to see The Theory of Everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have seen Theory of Everything but not the others. Really enjoyed it and the acting is stupendous. Saw Into the Woods last night and Meryl Streep is magnificent as always with many of the others doing a great job. It is Sondheim--great music and sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen The Theory of Everything and Boyhood and enjoyed them both very much. Lately I have more interest in movies although there have been a few I started and just could not give the time to in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for some suggestions-we enjoy netflix movies when we can find one worthwhile to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you to see them before the big awards. I have to wait for DVD since the closest theater is 2.5 hours away. Ah the joys of rural living. Boyhood and Theory of Everything are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Character development is quite often lacking in many movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed "The Theory of Everything" and will try to catch "Boyhood." Everything interesting doesn't make its way to Walla Walla but these did. Also saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and found it fascinating but sad. Nice to see films out of the house once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got back from seeing "Selma," which is magnificent. It is now my favorite, after having thought "The Theory of Everything" is the best of the year, now I think it's Selma. Cried through most of it, but don't miss it, Linda! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to read your takes on the movies you saw. I was not impressed with Birdman or Budapest Hotel, they are good but not brilliant, to me.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.