Thursday, March 24, 2016

It's a Noisy World

Crinkly, Crackly, Swishy, Hissy, Squeaky, Creaky! 

Noises I didn't really need to hear.

But now I am. 
This photo is not intentionally blurry. I'm not really trying to hide my new apparatus. But I am trying to get used to them. 

Yesterday afternoon, that's Wednesday for those of you who might not find me until tomorrow, I was fitted for my new hearing aids. My immediate reaction was "Would you please sit still and stop crinkling that paper." That was silently directed to the audiologist and to Tom, who accompanied me. 

I can tell you that friction is noisy:  rustling of clothing, rattling of the newspaper, and worst of all, crinkling of plastic bags. The water running out of the faucet is noisy. There are more creaks and squeaks in the floor than before.  

At first I thought it would drive me crazy. I have since used my iPhone app to lower the volume or amplification in my left ear piece and that is helping. The hearing in my left ear is worse than in my right, so the amplification is set higher, and I'm thinking it is too high. Just walking across the floor was causing a rattling sound. I will monitor it in various settings and then work with the audiologist when I go back for a follow up in three weeks. 

Tom is my gauge to what is better. The TV and the radio volume are much lower. I can hear him from across the room or even around the corner in another room. Tomorrow morning when we go to Friday breakfast, I'll see how much better I do in hearing conversation in a restaurant. 

I am told that I will get used to hearing the sounds I have not been hearing and the over amplification of the crinkle crackle rustle squeak will even out. 

I'll be letting you know. I do understand that for some of you I am a test case. 

20 comments:

  1. They look very nice, not nearly as large as I was expecting. I understand clanking silverware plus several voices speaking at the same time can be challenging in restaurants. Will be interested in hearing a report from you on that subject. It sounds like you have the ability to do a wide range of adjustments so that should help. I want to hear more about how you're using your phone in this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also will be interested in learning how this goes for you. I have heard the same complaints from other hearing aid wearers. I'm glad I'll be able to follow your progress through FB and your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my DH and I are having hearing problems so we'll also be closely following your progress. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only wear mine when I'm working. Most of the time I'm not that interested in listening to chatter. Using your iphone to adjust volume is cool. I don't think I can do that with mine. I have a little remote control to do that...which I've never used! Hope you adjust quickly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember years ago when my father got his hearing aids and refused to wear them because of all of the extraneous noise. I'll be interested to know if you are able to eventually filter out some of the background noises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lets hope it gets easier as time goes by to filter some of the background hustle/bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my son first got his hearing aids, he remarked "The fridge makes noise when you open and close it!" I hope the Friday breakfast goes well, and you find the right level, or can filter out everything you have gotten used to not hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a noisy world and hopefully it will all work out for you. Congrats. Love that you can adjust your hearing with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Hope it works out for you. I definitely need to do something as my hearing in my right ear is completely gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good description. Overall you sound positive. I'll keep "listening".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's wonderful that you can hear better. You will probably have to adjust to the new sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have them too and they work very nicely. It sounds like yours do too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I understand that hearing is like a muscle and it takes time to get up the best levels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking you will soon learn to tune out these annoying sounds. I just pulled a tissue out of the box and actually heard the sound it makes. Normally, I would never hear it, but this time I listened for it. I think when you quit paying attention to all these new sounds, they may fade out completely. Hope that is the case. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your new 'ears'. You will get used to it! You'll get everything set just right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I took a course of one kind or another several years ago, all of us students put on hearing aids to understand what they are like. I was amazed and shocked to realize every sound, even those we wish to filter out, is heard. Thank you for educating us today. Keep us posted. This is helpful feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep us posted step by step so we will know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES you are! Art is just waiting to see what you go through because he is next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not all wonderful sounds but you will get it all sorted out:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.