Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day Weekend

Saturday we spent much of the day working in Jill's yard. I weeded flower beds and planted lots of perennials and annuals grown from seed in our greenhouse or from starts taken form our garden.

Jill and the Irene hauled off brush and old wooden framing from the vegetable patch area.
 Tom worked on digging out the roots of an old holly tree.
Isaac worked on assembling the new lawn mower. 
 Then things went awry. The lawn mower would not start. Jill spent an hour and a half on the phone getting technical advice. Finally the lawn mower went back in the box. I think it got traded for a new one today. 
I just kept on planting. Tom and I started working at 9:00. Jill and the kids got going about 10:00. By 1:00 I was finally finished planting. The holly tree was still in the ground - it will require a chain saw. The new mower was in the box, and the vegetable garden spading was just beginning. 
 I took everybody out to lunch at Subway. Then I sat in the shade by the rhododendrons, watching the bees, with the cat, while everybody took turns digging the garden.





 Tom declared himself done at 2:30. Soon after we went home. 

We got cleaned up and rested up. I watched the Kentucky Derby. Then we left for the Link station to take the light rail into the city for a Sounders match. 

It was very warm as we sat in Occidental Park, then marched to the match, and dined on hot dogs on the "dining terrace" on the third level concourse. 
 But inside the stadium there was a cold wind blowing out of the northeast that had everybody grabbing any extra layers they hopefully brought with them. At halftime we saw the clouds coming in, bringing the weather change that gave us a cool, cloudy Sunday morning and a bit of rain overnight. 
Jill and the kids were at the game too, sitting in another section on level two. This is their selfie, posted on Facebook. 
We all rode home from the game together, on a very crowded but happy train, after another Sounders victory. 

Sunday Morning Tom and I were moving slowly, but eventually got going and drove the the Bellevue Botanical Garden for my Mother's Day gift to myself.
I took a lot of photos. I'll share some pretty pictures during the week. 
It is now 4:00 on Sunday. Jake is working today, delivering Amazon packages for the postal service. We're trying to arrange a time to get together. As for the rest of today? All I know is I'm not cooking.

I hope your Mother's Day weekend was to your liking. 

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! I love your pictures and congrats on the win, which I am SURE is because you were there. Happy Mother's Day to you, Linda, and many more to enjoy with me, I hope. BTW, today I voted for Hillary, thinking of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I voted for Hillary today too! But then I also voted for her at the precinct caucus, where it actually counted.

      Delete
  2. I want the job of holding the cat. You're going to kill poor Tom. Then you make him go to a Sounders game that evening. No rest for the weary. At least you make it a family affair. Fun to see all of you working together. I need to remember it's not as hot here as it is in Texas. Sounds like you're having a fun mother's day. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. The cat would love you. I tried to discourage digging out the holly. I said to let it be. But Jill and Tom wanted it out. I knew they were taking on more than they realized. The holly had been cut down, but the roots were probably 50 years old. So i just kept my head down and kept planting.

      Delete
  3. You sure had a weekend of hard work and lots of fun too. It was so chilly here today, at least the breeze was cold. We didn't get any rain though overnight. Looks like a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow it was working day. But your cat was relaxcing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do envy your family closeness and your memories. Did not see my two and do not really know what they were doing although once does have children of her own to celebrate with. I did get a quick call, which I missed because, since I was celebrating Mother's Day without them< I went to a festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly deserved a relaxing Mother's Day. Although the most exhausting thing to me would have been those 90 minutes on the phone with tech support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what hard workers you are but you get a lot accomplished. I spent the weekend entertaining little grandkids ages 5 and almost 7. I'm exhuasted but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice Mother's Day. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The BBG is such a wonderful place to spend your Mother's Day! Looking forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly had a wonderful weekend, lots of hard work with some treats thrown in. Quality times spent together is always a bonus. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What ever you take for energy, bottle it and I am buying. Goodness you always get a lot out of a day even from the kids.
    So glad you had a sit down at the game at least. A victory is always sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a really busy weekend! Happy Belated Mother's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you have a family work bee you get a lot done. It's good for the kids to have practical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a very exhausting day! I don't know how you guys do it. You must be feeling mighty pleased getting all that work done and then watching the Sounders win. Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so admire how your family works together. What wonderful memories you're helping build for Irene and Isaac! I hope the rest of your Mother's Day was very special!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.