Thursday, October 19, 2017

Drip, Drop, Float, Sail

Things are falling. Of course, it is Fall. 

It's raining, finally, lots of rain! And yesterday there was wind, lots of wind. Leaves and boughs and fir and cedar needles were flying everywhere.

Today it is just very drippy. As I look out my upstairs window I see this. 
The Korean dogwood gets brighter by the minute now that the color change brought on by colder nights is finally happening. 

Looking out my bedroom window this morning I saw this scene. 
 The Full Moon Maple is beginning to turn scarlet from the top down. 
 While the rain reduced to a sprinkle this morning I went out with my camera.

Fall is messy, and wind storms make it doubly so. 
 Cedar droppings cover the ground punctuated by fir boughs. 
Soon the hostas will be reduced to a soggy mess, so I appreciate their golden stage all the more. 
 The vine maple, dog wood and Japanese red maple in the back yard seem to be coloring up one branch at a time. Soon this area will be ablaze with color. 



 Much of the side yard is still green. 
 Steps and pathways have a cedar carpet. 
 Back around to the front, the dogwood has brightened up even more. 
 The Full Moon Maple - one leaf at a time?
 Under the maple the hardy cyclamen blooms are joined by their lovely little leaves. 

 Tom's greenhouse is filling up with geranium cuttings and echeveria pups and tender plants being protected for the winter. 
 Meanwhile roses are still blooming.
 The view from the front door indicated that there will be clean up to do as the color fades.
But it can wait. We will be cleaning up well into November around here. Today we are enjoying a slow day.

And the steady drip, drip of the much needed rain. 

17 comments:

  1. I just saw on the news that this rain is to push all the way over to our area, Indiana, in a few days. I can't wait.I love the look of your rain soaked fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Oregon. These cool, overcast, rainy days are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fall gets messy with all the leaves. I keep getting everybody else's leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad it raining. we are in texas now-warm humid weather but an interesting break from home....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what the plants are in the 5th photo, the 4 in red matching pots.

    Certainly wild weather we're having!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are pregnant onions, not really onions at all, but weird tropical plants that will soon have to move into the greenhouse.

      Delete
  6. Ah your header is marvelous. Love the Japanese Maples. I have 2 Coral Bark Maples (snago kaku)---they are so gorgeous and so red in the winter. My Hardy Cyclamen is blooming and leaves are coming up too. Lots of work to do in your yard---here too. We have gardens to clean and bulbs to plant but we are relaxing for a few days while the rain has it's way.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lazy October day sounds dreamy. Hope you enjoyed every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Everything looks so beautiful. I just love all the amazing colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was glad the rain mostly stayed south of us, where you are. Until the afternoon, anyway. It rained plenty once I got home around 3:00pm. Love the pretty trees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thing that struck me starting my walk the other day was the smell of the pines - Mother Nature does a wonderful perfume after a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish we had room for a greenhouse...but then I would need time to work in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are getting much needed rain. Amazing the bold colors your garden displays. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are getting the rain. Even with the mess it makes, your yard is still beautiful. If it is cooler nights that help color the leaves, maybe there is hope for our's. We still have all dead brown leaves falling, and lots of mess. Got to go back now and read your last post...don't want to miss a family get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the autumn colors!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.