Saturday, December 23, 2017

Some Work, Some Rest, Some Walking

Christmas Eve Eve, and life slowed down a bit today. 

I did make and bake the Christmas bread. It's a lovely, soft dough flavored with cardamom, our Swedish wreath bread.
The braided wreath will be frosted and decorated with candied cherries for Christmas morning. The recipe makes two wreaths, but I bake the rest as dinner rolls, one pan for Christmas dinner, so Jill can have a place to smear her cranberry sauce, and one pan for the freezer, for some future occasion. 

As I was waiting for proofing and rising and baking, I actually sat down!  Then after a long lunch hour, we went for a walk, the first in several weeks. It was cold and clear, blue sky and long shadows on this short winter's day.  It felt good to be outside, moving at a faster pace than the many hours I have spent standing in the kitchen. 
After we got back and took care of a few more little jobs, I propped myself up on the couch to read the new book I just started until my eyes fell shut and I took a little nap!

I don't often take naps, because I have a hard time getting re-started after them, but I did manage to cook us some dinner before calling it "done" for the day. I think we'll watch a move on On Demand tonight. It's time to catch up on the few good movies of 2017.


7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you got a walk in yesterday. You have been super busy, that's for sure! Wishing you and your wonderful family many many happy returns of the day! Merry Christmas, dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. let us know which movies are worth seeing, glad you could walk and nap...my naps are few now with family visiting but playing lots of cards and talking and eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, a relatively quiet day in the Reeder house. So glad you do get to enjoy a few of those. That bread looks wonderful and brought out my inner Oprah. "I LOVE BREAD."
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spent yesterday baking too. Had just sat down with a book the other day and dozed off, like you I don't nap, when the phone rang!!!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rush of Christmas preparation comes to an end. It's a contrast and sometimes we crash and have a nap. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time you post such lovely food I want to run next door and borrow some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas bread/rolls look delicious! Glad you got out for a walk before snowmageddon!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.