Monday, January 29, 2018

Discontent

I'm getting cabin fever.
 "This is the winter of our discontent". Well, that might be a little extreme, but I have to tell you that I am very tired of this endless rain. 
Yes, Seattle is known for rain, but we don't really have that much. It's more about the "big gray" that we usually have to put up with, a lack of sunshine. But this January has been WET!
I have finished my REDUCE task of sorting out cupboards and drawers throughout the house. I'm sure I could still find a few things to cull out, but not much. So I need a new project. I'm going to start on some sewing next. I got a few more tee shirts from Jake and I am going to make sofa pillow covers from them. I made one using my sample and scraps from the tee shirt quilt, so I have a process figured out. It should be easy but will keep me occupied. 

I have not made progress on reducing me. That fall I took a week and a half ago torqued my hip, the one that is under attack by arthritis, and I am still not able to do aerobic, distance walking, which is my favored kind of exercise. I have been using my recumbent stationary bike for exercise, hoping I am not making matters worse, since that doesn't make my hip hurt. In this dismal, dark weather I just want to eat potato chips and chocolate and drink lattes. Obviously I can't do that, so I am constantly at odds with myself. 

We saw two more nominated movies this weekend. I wrote about "The Shape of Water" in my last post. We also saw "Lady Bird". We enjoyed this coming of age, mother/daughter relationship story, but I would not put it in the same category as some of the others we've seen. It was just a good movie, not that special. 

Sunday we had brunch with son Jake. He is doing well and we had a great intellectual conversation. He is a very bright guy and very well read. He challenges me and I like that. I love deep, intelligent, thought provoking conversation and don't have that many opportunities for it. 

It's dark now and about time to go finish dinner. I really need to get up, get going, and work on my mood. Maybe counting my blessings will help. I have a home that is much more than shelter, a loving spouse and life partner, healthy kids and grandkids, financial security, and food that I can now go cook. I am very fortunate.

Rain is just an inconvenience when I have the option to not be out in it, to not be cold and hungry and homeless, like so many are here. 

16 comments:

  1. I get such a nice feeling when I look at that pretty junco sitting in the rain on your header. I too am tired of the rain, although we've had much less of it than you, it seems. I liked Lady Bird, too, but I still think "Three Billboards" is my favorite for the year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "Pineapple Express" is dumping so much rain on us too. I'm sick of it but I hear another system is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say I don’t notice the rain a lot. We are now housebound except for medical appointments. I don’t feel safe leaving Bob alone even for a quick run to the store, therefore I don’t pay much attention to the rain. Bob will have a bone marrow biopsy in the morning. The hematologist used the word ‘pessimistic’ to describe the outlook for the future. Susan is here to be with me. Bob’s confusion adds to the problems we’re facing. Wow, I’m a barrel of fun tonight. I’m rather distracted these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you have so much more on your plate than I have. I am ashamed to have complained. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Yes a long stretch of dull damp weather can give us the blues. I hope things dry up and the sun comes out again. You do have lots of blooms already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prolonged rain does dampen the spirit somewhat. Here's hoping the weather picks up and you are able to get out into your beautiful garden. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This winter has been particularly gray for me. Let the light shine in. Today I may do some weights and then wash the baseboards and cupboards in the kitchen. My life is just one long party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figure one rainy day is one more behind us - would you call me a Pollyanna?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain forces me to clean house but if there is too much rain, how clean can one get? Good you have hobbies to keep you amused. This too shall pass and it beats the heck out of drought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were in charge of the world, it would rain each night at bedtime and the sun would come each morning. Probably that would get boring, but then, being in charge of the world, I could switch things around. It is pleasant to have gray, rainy days once in a while. Having stayed some extra time in VT, I was really starting to feel SAD creeping in. When I got to FL I just stood in the sun, letting it soak in and I could feel myself opening up again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the other hand, eating potato chips, chocolate, and drinking lattes between naps and binge watching TV sounds like a perfect activity for weather like this:) Aren't we supposed to grow as people? What's all of this silly reduce talk? I'm also ready for some days without rain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sick of the rain too. I don't mind the gray and the misty rain we usually get, but the torrents that keep you inside like we've had lately is not to my liking either. Gripe all you want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's always something to be unhappy about...my friend caryn complained yesterday about all the sunshine here in the desert and lack of greenness. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can almost understand. We haven't had as much rain as you. Our rain started Saturday night, rained all day Sunday and all day Monday, without a break. It gets me down. I really need a little sunshine. Plus, since Thanksgiving, I can not stop eating. Won't spring be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so grateful to be able to leave the PNW in the winter for a place in sunny Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although I agree that you are truly blessed, I know what it's like to have cabin fever with too many gray days. I think the one thing that would cheer me up was to see other people.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.