Friday, February 23, 2018

Baking

A couple of weeks ago Tom's niece, who lives in San Jose, sent us a box of lemons, Meyer lemons, and limes. Their trees are producing an abundance. What a treat for us!  We shared them with Jill and the kids. Irene especially likes lemons. She just eats them like oranges. 

I have been having fun finding ways to use this gift of California sunshine. We have had lemon chicken, lemon zest encrusted salmon, lemon bars that I shared with Jill and the kids, and today I made lemon meringue pies. 
The pies will be part of the dessert at a siblings and cousin lunch at my sister's house tomorrow.

Before I had the lemon option, and before we had to cancel the first lunch date, I had planned to make this apple cream torte, since Laurie asked for a "light " dessert.  So I made it too.
I haven't tried it before so we'll see how we like it. I found it in a magazine some time ago and added it to my recipe binder.

It was 23 degrees here this morning, and now that it has warmed up to 33, we are getting a bit of light snow. It should turn to rain showers over night. I hope so. If the lunch, which is a long drive away for most of us, gets cancelled, we have a LOT of dessert to eat!

12 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I do love Meyer lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help you out with the dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pies look great!! Bet they taste good too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so wish that I could help you out with the desserts, particularly the lemon meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't get the snow last night, but maybe you did. The pies do look delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh. My mom used to make the best lemon meringue pies. She used to mix the meringue into the lemon and bake so it was light and fluffy throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to help you with those desserts, especially the lemon meringue pies. I can't imagine Irene eating a lemon like an orange. She is a sweetie pie, isn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what yummy desserts, I used to bake more but with diabetes it's a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lemon pies and the wonderful looking cake make me want to go to the kitchen right now and bake something lemony. Luckily I have a large lemon and another half in the fridge!!
    I hope your plans for a siblings and cousin's lunch doesn't get cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your lemon dishes sound absolutely awesome. Lemon meringue is my FAVORITE pie. Sigh... Your pies are so BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a good cook and a good baker. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When life gives you lemons, you sure know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.