Friday, March 16, 2018

Tee Shirt Pillows

You may recall the tee shirt quilt I made for Jake for Christmas. I used his old concert shirts that I had stored in the attic for many years. 

I had one shirt front that I used as a sample in the quilt making process, and after I was finished with the quilt, I decided to make a pillow out of it. When I gave it to Jake he said ,"I have more shirts".

He picked out four more that we decided I could make into pillows. It was a good project for the winter months, one that I could work on now and then for an hour or so.
I decided to use the front and the back of the Seahawks Superbowl shirt. I have to sort of hide the NBA pillow because it has to be censored. The NBA is not popular here in Seattle since we lost the SuperSonics. 

I treated each pillow front like a quilt square, with iron on stabilizer, quilt batting and a cotton backing. I used outlining stitching to quilt the layers together. 

Then I used heavy cotton duck fabric for the backs, with an overlapping envelope closure. 
I used the serger to sew all the layers together, inside out, so the finished edge inside won't fray. Then I inserted 16x16 in. pillow forms. 
It's a fun way to use some of a tee shirt collection. 

13 comments:

  1. Those look great! I still have a bag of T-shirts to make my son a quilt. It keeps getting put off due to other projects. The T-shirt quilt you made was really nice and these pillows are yet another good use for the many shirts the kids collect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids and grandkids are so lucky to have your creativity and talent. Those pillows are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful way to repurpose tee shirts, especially those that are kept for mementos of something. How much nicer to have them on display rather than hidden away in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! I tend to wear my t-shirts out but if I had extras sometime, I might attempt something like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you're in the business as he tells his friends! and it gets out on the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really cute! It's nice to see memory shirts re-purposed this way. I sent some of my husband's favorite tee shirts off to a company who made them quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made some pretty fine cushion covers with the T shirts!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.