Sunday, May 20, 2018

Columbine and Allium and Wisteria, Oh My! It's Mid-May!

I took most of Friday off. My eye was still bothering me and I was so stiff and sore from working in the garden, so I decided to take it a bit easier.

We went to our usual Friday breakfast, then did some shopping at Fred Meyer on the way home. I spent a little time out in the garden picking flowers for a new kitchen table bouquet. Then I spent about a half hour snipping the heads off spent tulips and poppies. 

While I was out snipping, my eyes were continuously captured by the blooming beauty around me, so after lunch I decided to go out and take a few photos, since the high, thin cloud cover made for good photography lighting. Just as I headed out, it started to rain! But five minutes later it stopped and the sun came out. It's May. May is gentle here. 

The hanging fuchsia baskets Jill and the kids gave me for Mother's Day look happy on the north side of the house.  The hooks were already in place from when we used to have fuchsias years ago. 

Out in the garden, Columbine Time is a lovely season here in the Reeder garden. 




 Last fall, while shopping, we came across a bag of allium bulbs and decided they would be a great addition to this bed. They are!





 As you may have noticed, the glass flowers are blooming too. 


And then, down on the garden deck, there is this!





Tom has been busy washing the windows. We - mostly he - got the insides done Thursday, and Friday he finished all of the outsides. I felt a little guilty, but only a little bit. 
Then I took my Kindle and went down to sit on the deck and smell the wisteria. 

16 comments:

  1. Another wonderful excursion into your beautiful world. Glad to hear you're taking it easy. For you, that is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wisteria is very rewarding. Is there another vine you could plant with it tha would bloom later in the season or do they fight too much? BE CAREFUL on the ladders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your writing I can sense the love you have for your garden. Very nice. I wish I could go outside and pick flowers for a bouquet. I’ve learned flowers are delivered to the grocery stores near me on Mondays and Thursdays. To be sure everything is out I go on Tuesdays or Fridays. I pay close attention to the dates on the stickers because those dates tell me when they will be removing the flowers from the sales floor. They may still be pretty but won’t last long past the sticker date. I want the most for my money. Trader Joe’s does not have dates on their flowers so I seldom shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Wisteria is amazing!!
    I like Columbines... they ask for so little and every year I find they crossed and made new colours. This year I have a pure White Columbine which I will try to keep seeds and spread them about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the gardens you visit and share photos of, I love your garden the best. Everything is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks fabulous. I can see why you are drawn to the deck to read. That wisteria is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suc beautiful colors. Yes, good to get those windows all clean so your can enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Massive blooms in your yard. It' beautiful. Guess who's washing windows tomorrow. ? Usually they are done before now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, how beautiful, my hubby does windows also...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry your eye is still bothering you but a bit comforted that even a pro gardener like you can still get sore from digging in the dirt. I thought it was just me. Hope your healing day worked. The wisteria is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gardens are simply beautiful! The Allium bulbs really turned out pretty. Everything you put in the ground turns out perfect. I've been washing a window or two. Normally I get all the windows washed, but we've had such awful pollen, and heat and humidity. I love your hanging baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the wisteria!!! Spring in your area is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, gorgeous May in your garden, Linda! The wisteria is breathtaking! Allium is my favorite, and of course columbines!!! Great pictures! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden always looks great but I look forward to seeing your pictures of wisteria bloom time on the deck! Good to see that the glass flowers have started blooming for the year. Everything looks so full of life and happy that it's May!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything is just beautiful! I love all of the purple.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.