Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

As I was doing housework this morning and listening to the radio, I was reminded by my favorite morning guy, who had memories of visiting Normandy, that I, too, had been there earlier this year. Through seeing the battle fields and cemeteries in Holland and France, I came to a deeper understanding of what our nation did for the rest of the free world. We often talk of how our troops fight and die for our freedom, and throughout history that has certainly been the case, but we have also sent men and women to fight and die for the freedom of others. And in Holland and France, they have not forgotten. This is sacred ground.
We are the world.
Thank a soldier today. They are thanking us in Europe.
Holland
France
American Cemetery at Omaha Beach
Please remember our wounded veterans. Consider a donation to Paralyzed Veterans of America, or some other organization serving our wounded soldiers.

10 comments:

  1. A moving post and beautiful, if sad, photos! Thanks for the rememberance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a perfect post for today, Linda. We owe all these soldiers our gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed all your photos as I have not visited any of those places. unfortunately it's probably only the older generation that thanks america for their freedoms. the younger ones didn't live then and only see us as an agressor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, that is the reason why we must now reach out to the rest of the world again. Can you imagine hating the French just because they disagreed with us on Iraq? We must not for get our own history.
    And we must be very careful about deciding on war when we might achieve the results we need through diplomacy. So many mistakes have been made, and we have so many more wounded vets because of our wars of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister-in-law's father fought in World War I and I can remember him saying that they fought using horses to pull the cannons and gun wagons. Thanks for posting your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I have added a link to my post on the wolves and hopefully this will allow you to send your comment. Thanks for letting me know the difficulty you were having. Hopefully, this will make it work. Thanks for your concern over the wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post and tribute Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. Thank you for the reminder that it is not just our country that we have protected but others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post. My future son-in-law to be served in Iraq and has the physical and emotional scars to prove it..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, just a word that New Zealand and Australian troops also fought and died for the freedom of others, and still are. - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.