Friday, November 7, 2008

Hanging On - Letting Go

When summer was coming to an end, I was melancholy. I wanted to hang on to this time of warmth, flowers and freedom. Then Autumn burst forth in all it's glory. It was an especially beautiful fall here in the northwest, with climatic events lining up just right for brilliant color. Now we are into November. Leaves are still lingering, but with the coming of wind and rain, they will soon let go their hold and fall to the ground, to be raked up from lawns and flower beds before they turn to mush. In the uncultivated hillsides, ravines, woodlands and roadsides, the fallen foliage will collect to feed the soil for another growing season.
Again, I want to hang on to what we have now. I will miss the color, especially against the occasional blue sky. But in letting go of this season, I look forward to the next. We are coming up on the holiday season - Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. There will be new beauty to enjoy, and indoor fun to be had.
Here is a fond farewell to the color we've been enjoying in our yard.
Down the driveway, at the street, we borrow color from the neighborhood.
In Tom's greenhouse, Summer is being preserved.
Letting go - looking forward.
Weather update: Reports of up to 8 inches of rain have fallen in parts of Washington State in the last 24 hours. Rivers are experiencing flooding: the Tolt, Skykomish, Skokomish, Snohomish, Snoqualmie, Stillaguamish and Satsop Rivers are all at or over flood stage.
Once again we are seeing news video clips of salmon swimming across roads.

13 comments:

  1. Linda..I am sorry about the flooding in your state...I hope you aren't impacted by it..I too share the sadness now that summer and fall are gone..

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous colors and photos. I love the beauty in your state...will have to travel north next summer. Interesting thoughts about letting go and change-that's the nature of life-you think we would learn as we mature...or gain experience with life. you are right there is more ahead-the joy of family in the holidays coming up. thanksgiving is my favorite time to just celebrate family and my many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what gorgeous color it is!!! It's akways difficult for me to release Autumn willingly. It's the perfect time of year for me. Odd, I LOVE perrenial gardens. I'm definitely a "flower child"... But, fall is definitely my favorite.

    You are right, though. Winter renews the land. It gives us time indoors to reflect and catch up on reading, projects, conversing with our loved ones in the darkness that comes earlier this time of year. Every season is so full of wonder, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is so beautiful, Linda. You are so lucky to be living in such a lovely area. AND a green house? That is too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing set of pictures!
    Loved them all!
    And the one with the flag flying!...WOW!
    Nice job!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovelt autumn photos Linda. I hope the flooding reduced quickly. I read your two previous blogs about Obama and the elections. Interesting to read your views. Yes, it's time for you to be proud again! - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something went wrong here.
    Regarding your election comments previously, yes, it's time for you to be proud of your country again. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous photos! Aren't our fall colors just magnificent? Really did enjoy each and every one of your photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely spectacular and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful photos of your garden colors! Makes it only slightly easier to let it go knowing you have the beauty in photos! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. stay safe in all that rain!

    your home and grounds are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely breathtaking photos! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing such color.
    I hope the flooding recedes rapidly. Yet another "event" to remind us that we have work to do on the environment.
    Now I am off to see how this is impacting Seattle itself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you and I am loving that green house. I need one of those. Beautiful fall colors.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.