Friday, May 8, 2009

New Porch

This was porch construction week. Monday, Tom had dry weather as he demolished the old porch deck, which was rotting out. He had that done by 11:00, and then we spent the afternoon getting our order at Lowe's straighted out and ferried home on the top of our van.
Tuesday brought rain showers, and our son Jake to help out. Since he is still unemployed, we hired him for the day. It's a good thing, too, because Dad was having trouble with applied geometry, while Jake was up to speed on his math knowledge.
They got their heads together to problem solve.
At the end of day two, most of the hard part was done. Day three, Wednesday, was wet. Tom used the lessons Jake gave him to cut and install the step supports.
That corner piece was tricky.
Fortunately he could ponder it in the dry garage.
With all of the hard stuff done, by Thursday, putting on the decking material went fast, from the first board...
...to the last!
Tom couldn't wait to decorate. We moved the first planters back right away.
Today Tom got all of the drip system tubing in place, and we began moving plants out of the green house. The finished porch deck is now ready for summer.
Now the house needs a new paint job.

8 comments:

  1. Lots of work, but the end result is certainly worth it! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post, Linda. It's so much fun for us to see the project from beginning to end and the end is gorgeous! How lucky you are to have a husband and son who are such fabulous craftsmen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys could hire out-very professional job-looks lovely with all the plants etc. what a difference. fun to see the project in steps with rain...what is that? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that you count your blessings all the time. You have many! Porch looks great. It shows the time and effort put into it. My question is: Did that project happen with or without some occasional swearing? [haha]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone.
    I helped on Thursday, acting as gopher and holder, but otherwise I stayed away. So, Mare, while I'm sure there were plenty of expletives, I heard only one "Oh s--t!" And that's exactly why I stayed away except for the occasional check in and to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful. I don't have a handy husband. I have a husband but he's not handy, which is part of the reason we've chosen apartment living these days. I just pick up the phone and call when we need repairs.

    You two seem to work together well. It's wonderful you do because your place always looks great and seems to be in good repair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness..I so admire those who are able to do their own home projects and how well it came out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be nice to have handy guys around for porch building! It looks wonderful. Too bad I wasn't in town or you could have hired me to help since I'm unemployed too (not that I have porch building skills, but I could have been a helper)!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.