Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Pivotal Day

How do you spell relief? Ocean air! Our heat wave is broken, swept away by cool air from the Pacific. It was actually foggy this morning. Don't get me wrong. I don't want foggy mornings all summer long, but I want to get back outside, not holed up in my air conditioned house. The World Cup is over, finally won by Spain over The Netherlands. I've enjoyed it very much, but I'm happy to get the time back, not spent in front of the TV set. As some of you know, I like to watch the Tour de France. I record it early in the morning and then fast forward through the commercials and uneventful sections. But today, sadly, I watched Lance Armstrong have a very bad day, with crashes and lost time, to the extent that he no longer has any hope of being competitive. Now his role will change to that of supporting another member of his team. It's the end of an era. Tom has most of the heavy work done on the hedge trimming. Oh, there is always more to do in a garden, but he's come to a turning point. It will now be easier. I'm ready to get back out in the garden, where the roses and the lavender are blooming and the look of summer has finally arrived.
There are roses and daisies and lavender on the kitchen table. Tomorrow I'll be back to my summer routine of picking raspberries or produce from the garden, dead heading roses, snipping and clipping as needed, picking bouquets, and spending quality time on the patio.
-
But first, later today, we're heading downtown to Qwest Field where we are finally back for a regular season Sounders home match. We can only hope it too is pivotal, and we get back to winning ways.

14 comments:

  1. Your gardens are beautiful. I'd love to have your large lavender patch. I'm wild about lavender and have been making lavender sachets lately as a fundraiser for my sorority chapter.

    Beautiful table centerpiece, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes through very clear how much you love your garden and how your heart yearns to be in it.

    I'm also delighted the hot spell only lasted 3 days. I'm so glad to be moving back into the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is so beautiful and I'm sure it is thankful for the cool, moist air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. summer is certainly here. it's 108 today where i live=thank goodness for air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that beautiful bouquet from your garden? I love your garden. I can't even keep blooms on my crepe myrtles because of the Japanese Beetles. Do you have those awful bugs up there? And, what do you do to get rid of them, if you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has a vegetable garden, but she says there are scores of slugs there. They find slugs every morning, and don't know what to do about them.

    I should tell her that 2 people went into a coma after eating slug-infested lettuce from their backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a marvelous garden, just awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am thrilled that the hot spell is broken, and we are now in normal weather for this part of the country. I love the fog, and as we drove down to Snohomish yesterday, it reminded me of San Francisco fog. It cleared away by noon, but the temperature felt so much better! I do love your garden, and your flowers, and I'm pretty fond of you, too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your heatwave has passed. Your gardens look absolutely luscious! A lot of our blooms are really dwarfed by this heat. Not in the 100s this week; just the low 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Variety is the spice of life, and so The Tour de France and World Cup are fun. I understand your love of your garden which is quite a feat! Let me add that I hate, hate, hate hot humid weather. I would be lost without air conditioning in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can certainly understand why you would want to be back in your gardens. They are stunning! Our heat wave has let up with some humidity still teasing us but I think summer will be back soon the way its supposed to feel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linda, Did you know there is a man from Washington State in the Tour de France? It's Tyler Farrar from Wenatchee. Here's a link to a website on him.
    http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/sports/farrar/
    GO LANCE! GO TYLER!
    P.S. I don't know why blogger (column to the right) says my most recent post was 8 months ago! I update it several times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful garden you have and your flowers in the last shot, so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you're getting a respite from the heat. Your flower arrangement is absolutely gorgeous! How fabulous that you can grow those blooms right in your own garden.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.