Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Thank You Geek Squad

Tom is very happy to have his toy back.
With all of the set up of our new computers, a glitch occurred that we could not find a fix for. Our Google Chrome bookmarks started multiplying randomly and endlessly. 

We went on line to find what to do, found evidence of this being a problem, tried everything we could do that was within our capabilities, and finally made an appointment last week with the Geek Squad at Best Buy. We have an account there :-).

Our "guy" couldn't find a fix either, so our computer was admitted to the tech ward behind the curtain. We were notified yesterday that it was ready for pick up and made an appointment to do that this afternoon. Well, they still hadn't found the fix but this Geek Guy was determined. First he said we just needed to do this and that and I told him I had already done all of those this and thats. That stumped him but he kept looking and hitting keys. It took an hour but he finally found that hidden file on the server that we had read about and from there we had the fix.  The Geek Guy told me that I had done all of the right stuff as far as he knew, and that he learned something new that he didn't know before. Learning experiences are a good thing, even for Geeks. 

Now the fancy new computer is as it should be and Tom reports that everything is working just fine. 

Sometimes you just need to ask for help. 

13 comments:

  1. Interesting that even geek squads don't know it all...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New computers printers and other devices are sometimes a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for a working computer and a happy Tom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I'm glad the problem could be found and fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like so many things can go wrong with computers that even the people that are supposed to know how to repair them don't much of the time! I am glad you finally got it working correctly and Tom can now enjoy it. And even the Geek Guy learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You showed admirable patience is what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that is a big screen. I am glad to know that your problem has been fixed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am envious of his big screen! My daughter was prevented from doing work for 4 hours do to some glitch. Her IT people were not at all useful. She went online, found the solution and solved it herself and sent the IT people a message that maybe they needed to Google stuff when they were stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you were able to teach the Geek guy something new. Be proud and so glad Tom is back in business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it all worked out for you. The Geek Squad took over an hour to get rid of malware on our desktop computer -- all done by phone remotely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what those helper bees are for. I don't have the patience or the know how to fix these machines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! That is just awesome, Linda! Good for you. I’m so grateful to have a son-in-law take care of all that for me. And I really admire you for knowing how to tackle computer glitches.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.