Monday, January 6, 2020

We Lost This Good Man

You never know when you might be saying goodbye for the last time.
We knew my brother-in-law was in a battle for his life when we saw him nine days ago but we hoped he was winning and we thought he had more time. Arnold died today. 

Cancer is a cruel killer, and it took Arnie quickly, just two months from his diagnosis. His 77th birthday would have been this Thursday.

My sister called me this afternoon to fill me in on Arnie's last few days. We had been kept informed through texting, but I hesitated to call, not wanting to intrude on a precious family time. And precious it was.  Once the final diagnosis was made and the end of life process was begun, his family gathered at his bedside: my sister Laurie, his wife of 52 years, his three adult children and their spouses, and his seven grandchildren. Arnie told stories and jokes and made them laugh. He told them he had said his goodbyes and was ready to go. As a man of faith he did not fear death, and having fought for life as long as he could, he was ready for peaceful surrender. He sent them home for the night. 

Laurie got the call to come at 7:00 this morning. He slipped peacefully away at 9:30. 

Arnie's family is strong and will support each other, but his passing leaves a huge hole in the fabric of their family, as well as that of our extended family. He was man deeply loved, and deserving of that love. 

We are in mourning. 

17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Your BIL will be sorely missed by his family and friends. It sounds like he faced death with courage and good humor. RIP Arnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. That he was prepared and his family has eachother for support is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathy to you and your family for the loss of Arnie. He was prepared for his end but I'm sure his family was not prepared to be without him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss, Linda. This seems so sudden, you wrote about him at Christmas and I was really hoping he would win his battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry Linda. You and your family have my sympathies. I am glad he got to be with his family and I'm glad they are all together to support one another now. This is a difficult time for you all. Please know that others care.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda, I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. He was too young. I have a cousin who is battling for his life too. I can see what an amazing person Arnie was to have his thoughts for his family during his final days and to put fear behind him. I'm sending you a hug from across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No swords, just wanting you to know I'm so sorry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for you loss. So happy that you had him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems we spend the early years putting together a jigsaw of our lives and then later we lose the picture piece by piece. It sounds like Arnie was a big piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way to go! My condolences to you and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sympathies on the passing of Arnold. He's left his family with wonderful memories of their time together, what amazing grace at the end of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very sorry for your loss and send sympathy to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for you and your family. This is a lovely tribute for him. I hope you all find Peace. Big Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Linda, I am so sorry. Reading this made me cry. I have enjoyed your family, through your posts, so much and it is easy to see how close you all are. My heart goes out to all of you. Love, Henny

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sympathy to you and your entire family. Each day is a gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.