Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Satisfying Sunday


We were going to get up and eat a quick breakfast Sunday morning before the rains came, but the rain beat us to it. So at 9:00 we started the morning over. We took our showers, Tom read the paper, and his phone, and I did my exercises. Then at 11:00 we drove to Ballard to meet Jake at his place and take him out for brunch.

Jake started a new job last week, again as a surveyor, and so far he has crawled through 5.5 foot soon-to-be waste water pipes as part of the Bright Water Project, and this week he is up in the wilds on the Skagit River,  surveying dams belonging to the City of Seattle. Yesterday he posted these photos of Gorge Dam.

We tried out a new-to-us place in Greenwood for brunch and I had the most wonderful challah bread french toast! Of course I am trying to lose weight, so I only ate half of it and brought the rest home. 

We had a good time catching up with Jake and eating. Then we took him back to his place and decided, since we needed to walk off our big meal, and it was only raining lightly, that we would spend some time at the Ballard Farmer's market, held every Sunday year round. 

I used my iPhone 5 for photos, but they aren't too bad. I concentrated mostly on pretty for you, my dear readers, since spring seems to be coming so reluctantly for many of us. 






 My favorite mini-doughnut maker was busy, with a long line of customers awaiting hot, fresh doughnuts.  We passed, but the aroma was very enticing. 
 Pretty potatoes
 And pies
 and pottery

 Not pretty, but fresh and organic.
 Tasting local cheese is always fun for us. 

 Princes Irene tulips! Tulips are not in bloom here yet, so these must have come from the huge greenhouses in the Skagit Valley, where right now the daffodil fields are in bloom. 

 Behind the pretty, the working side of the flower business. 


 Cultivated "wild" mushrooms. 
Tom bought one of the mushroom pockets, below, made with mushrooms from the vendor above. He had it as part of his dinner later, and said it was very good. 
 There was also food cooked on site. 


 Nan being cooked 
We were now right next to Bergen Place, and this cherry tree was in full, beautiful bloom. 
 Bergen, Norway is sister city to Seattle, and Ballard is the Scandinavian capital of Seattle. 

We got back home about 3:00. I did my 10 miles on the stationary bike, my go-to exercise when it's raining, played with photos and finally read the paper. 

I did not cook dinner. Tom ate my left over french toast and his mushroom pocket. 

Between Friday breakfast and Sunday brunch, we ate out four times over the weekend. It was a struggle, but I managed to not gain even a tenth of a pound. Yay, me. 

Eating is more fun that dieting. 

10 comments:

  1. The flowers, the fresh foods, all of it is beautiful. What a lovely day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake's new job sounds like something more in line with his interests and education. I think the photos are wonderful. Enjoyed seeing all that spring color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last line is so true. Thank you for the "pretties" you shared. I especially love the mixed bouquets. And the three Ps you showed me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very pretty market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely market! Congratulations to Jake and his better fit of a job, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating is definitely more fun than dieting. My weight hasn't changed in many years but the distribution has and I'd like to lose some pounds but do not have your resistance to temptation.

    The flowers, esp. the tulips, are so very gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wild salmon sliders and bright colored tulips...I am green with envy! Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all these lovely photos. It's really amazing how well the iPhone takes photos. I never carry around a real camera anymore. Those ceramics are gorgeous and the TULIPS...Wow! I love spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have had to try the sliders. Yum. What a lovely display of color and wow on the tulips. What a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty flowers!! I enjoyed those photos very much!
    We make Naan bread pizzas...it is one of our go to quick meals...we cut a piece in half and do our own toppings.
    I bet the salmon sliders were good! Lots of ingredients that I am not familiar with...I would have asked for plain salmon with just some pepper on it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.