Thursday, January 18, 2024

No News

 It will be two years next month, following my TAVR (aortic valve replacenemt), when I got all tipsy and wobbly and scared everyone in the clinic and in the aid car, and whoever else eventually was involved, that I might be having a heart attack. I wasn't, and I knew I wasn't but after every possible test, it was decided that I wasn't. But a Dr. in that Federal Way Hospital, who I never met,  saw me walking with an "abnormal gait", ordered a brain MRI, and decided I might have Normal Pressure Hydrocephalis. 

I checked myself out of that hospital, but back in my own medical center I did have that MRI and there was some scan evidence of slightly enlarged brain ventricles, a sign of NPH. 

Several neurologists examained me and found no clinical evidence of NPH, but from then on until now I have been daily evaluating myself, worried I might have NPH, even though I could not self-identify other symptoms either. 

Since then I have had my second hip replacement, and have finally mostly recovered from that.  I have been exrayed and tested and evaluated, trying to figure out why I am losing my mobility. 

I have been to my hip surgeon, my spine surgeon, had x-rays and MRIs, had my ears examined by an outolaryngolist for inner ear causes, and none of them have found anything.

Finally, this last Tuesday I saw a new doctor, a neuroligist specializing in movement disorders. She examined me thoroughly and found, " no evidence for NPH and your recent MRI is less concerning for this as well".  

She also checked me for Parkinsons and found no symptoms. I am to go back in 6 months for another check on some slight "rigidity". That's not too surprising given my recent physical therapy session. My PT assigned me to do "Standing Pelvic Circles", the motion you do when you play with a Hula Hoop. I couldn't do them - at all. But I've been practicing, and now I'm at least a little bit less rigid. :-) I can circle my hips. 

Today we went out and bought me some trekking poles.

If it ever stops raining I will take them out for a walk. Eventually I'll take them to PT and have my therapist make sure I am using them correctly. 

One way or another I am going to work on getting my mobility back, or at least improved. 


I am not ready to give up walking. 

I am ready to give up worrying. No news is good news. 


13 comments:

  1. You look cute with your trekking poles. I too am ready to give up worrying. You have sure been through a lot of tests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are stalwart and committed. Good for you. Brava, Linda, I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly been examined thoroughly and I'm glad it is good news. Your tenacious attitude is admirable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no Idea as to how I felt reading this post. I have exactly the same symptoms or lack of symptoms. I'm okay on a hard level surface but find it pretty rough outdoors. I've used a stick for several years. I still walk but not like before and you wonder how much longer I will do the long walks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I imagine it's frustrating when the doctors can't find the reason for things happening. All you can do is be tested as needed and hope for the best. Worrying helps nothing (but easier said than done). But if you know you've done what you need to do, then you've done your best. That's when I give it to God and get on with it. Your trekking poles seem like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just don't give up and that is an admirable quality. Those trekking poles should be a great help for walking .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree no news is good news!
    I am doing all the doctors want me to do now and then like you I don’t want to give up walking.
    I used my trekking poles today on the snow 😆

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing water aerobics and it's really helping my aches, pains and stiffness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have an excellent plan! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look ready to conquer with those trekking poles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use trekking poles when hiking and have been considering getting a pair for walking around town, like those you have there. All that information about things you don't have is very encouraging! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, Linda! I'm so glad you got these reassuring news. That was scary. And yes, absolutely, you need to keep working on maintaining mobility.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is very frustrating when they cannot come up with a diagnosis and a plan to fix our ailments. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.