Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gearing Up For the Phosie-Gertie

With Labor Day weekend upon us, it's time for the annual Reeder/Foster/Fuller family picnic. This is Tom's family, and the name of the picnic comes from the Vandervoort sisters, who were grandmothers to all of the clan that gathers on Whidbey Island.
-
Son-in-law Corey made this poster for a graphic design class last winter. It now hangs on the wall of the cabin, awaiting the celebration. I do wish Jill, Corey and the kids could be there in person.
(click to enlarge)
The poster shows the old fence along the property line, recently made stable again with new posts, and the old driftwood flagpole we used to use to raise the Phosie-Gertie flag Tom's mother made long ago. Our new cabin has a fancy flag pole, and I re-engineered the flag to fly on it. We still do the flag raising ceremony.
-
The picnic is on Sunday, along with our "business" meeting to discuss cabin upkeep and finances. We determine the dues for the next calendar year based on current expenses. Then there are games - a sand castle building contest, a water balloon toss, a candy scramble for the little kids- and lots of visiting and eating.
-
Tom and I will be going up Friday. Tom and Jake have a construction project to do on Saturday, building a floating dock for launching the canoe in the lagoon. After all of these years, we feel it's time for an alternative to wading in the muck. Also Tom's brother Dave, sister-in-law Vicki, and niece Julie are up from California, staying at a B&B down the street. His sister Jan will be coming up Friday too, with her partner Ann, so we'll have some family time before the picnic.
-
We'll be back in town and in touch Sunday night.
Have a great holiday weekend, everyone.
And remember, if you are retired, summer doesn't end with Labor Day!

10 comments:

  1. I love your last statement -- this is my first year of retirement and it feels wonderful not to be back at school. It also feels strange as I have spent a number of years getting ready for my classroom. Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a lovely family reunion. I like the poster-too cool. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun event in the life of the Reeder family. Remember to make lots of pictures to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the picnic! Sounds like fun.

    David's Labor Day will be spent painting the driveway again -- his annual chore.

    Sunday lunch will be spent at a nearby restaurant that specializes in ribs. Looking forward to it. Haven't had ribs in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you forgotten my request to be adopted into your family? Have a grand time. And I'll need some directions!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a terrific Labor Day weekend, Linda. That poster is really amazing! Beautifully done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, you are great ones for family re-unions Linda! And why not? It helps to keep you all in contact with each other. The Maori (NZ native) word for family is 'Whanau,' - pronounced 'Far-now.' It means all of the family relatives, and the Maori are very strong on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, this post makes me wish I were a member of your family. The Phosie-Gertie party sounds like so much fun! What a great name for it.

    You're right, of course: summer doesn't end on Labor Day. It sure takes awhile to realize this, though, after decades of teaching. And Sunday afternoons can be for relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go, enjoy and give everyone an extra hug.
    I will be home--maybe working in the yard most likely.
    My car broke down thursday and is sitting in a parking lot miles away. I hope I find someone to fix it.
    Have fun!! MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time. I'm looking forward too seeing the photos. Love the poster. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.