Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Busy Day On Whidbey Island


Tom and I were up early and caught the 8:30 ferry at Mukilteo to Whidbey Island.
When we arrived at the cabin Jill and Corey, who had been there overnight, already had a good start on the list of cleaning jobs for our work day.


While lots of work was being done inside, I chose to work outside.  I weeded the garden, and then Irene and I washed all of the outdoor furniture.  After lunch I put oil on the teak deck furniture.
 Tom's sister Jan arrived about noon with their other brother Dave and his wife Vicki, who are visiting from California.
With all of the work, there was also time to sit in the sun watching the heron in the lagoon and taking walks on the beach, where eagles had gathered.  Sorry, no eagle photos.  I didn't take my camera that time.
 Irene loves to collect and examine natural things.  Here she was thinking about how sand is really ground up rocks.  She wanted to know how that happens.

 Last fall this boat washed up in a storm.  We wonder who would just leave a boat to rot on the shore.
 In the cabin garden the tulips are fading and the columbine are beginning to bloom.  There was a lot of color in the sun today.




7 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Irene as she examines the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely place you've got there, and such a fine family to decorate it with! Your pictures are just wonderful, and I am happy to have been taken along! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene looks so serious and thoughtful
    it's wonderful that she loves nature and is curious

    I love the shot with all the furniture scattered about!! :)

    and the heron is magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you love a place, it almost doesn't seem like work when you do the maintenance every year. Your gardens are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. It reminded me of the days when we would all go to my grandparent's summer home in the mountains and open it up for the summer. What a time of joy and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to have such a great change of scenery now and then.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.