Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Big Box Arrived!

I found that big box we shipped from Albany, NY sitting on my front porch when I got back from running an errand and checking out the Farmer's Market in Burien.  That was cool, too, but I couldn't buy much because we are leaving again tomorrow.  But that's another story.


Back to the box.

 Tom didn't hear the door bell, because he had his head into this job out on the patio.  The tree roots have pushed up pavers, so he had some digging and cutting to do to make them safe again.
The gal at FedEx did quite a job with the buble wrap and the tape gun.  It took some doing to free the contents.
 There is some Mccoy pottery, some Haeger, some Shawnee, and an unknown swan.  All were much lower in price that I would pay here. They are additions to my pottery collection.
 The old paper mache Santa was a great find, very low price and in very good condition.   He is holding a wooden covered bridge ornament that we bought in Vermont, of course.
There were also treasures we brought home in our luggage from our travels.  The cheese board came from Vermont, as did the maple syrup and the cheese server.  There is an ornament from Niagara Falls, the maple leaf from Woodstock, Vermont, and a hand blown glass ornament from the Simon Pierce Factory in Vermont.  The Santa is a hand carved piece we picked up at an art fair in Richfield Springs, a small town in the Finger Lakes area of New York.  The knife is from the factory in Shelburne Falls, NY.
And I just remembered, not pictured, is a tin wall sconce and a pottery candlestick from the crafters at Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts.


And then there were the books.  This is just part of them.  I have loaned out the picture book of Grandma Moses paintings.  
It was a very historic, literary, artistic and geographic adventure trip, and the best part is not what we bought, but what we learned and experienced and saw and shared.  And I have my blog journal to fill in the gaps when I forget what was where and where was when.


I have thought during this trip about why I travel. I could read about and find pictures of all of these things.  But I travel to get first hand experience.  There is nothing like actually being in a place, seeing, feeling for yourself, like experiencing the thunderous rushing waters of Niagara falls, or the fact that from now on, when I here the words "New York", I will not think automatically of that monumental city on the Hudson, but instead that beautiful state of rolling farmland, punctuated by many rivers, canals and waterfalls.

9 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have a maple leaf just like the one you got in Vermont. I got it when I was there probably 15 or 20 years ago. That must be a good seller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely, of course. It's funny what you mentioned about your blog journaling. When I was doing the photo album of my son's trip to Hawaii, I had to rely on my blog because I didn't write down what we did when they were here. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a haul of lovely things to help you remember your trip. That job on the patio looks huge! Good thing you've got such an accomplished partner who can do everything, it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. travel is educational-I'm off to give my Icelandic imovie at Icelandic Reunion tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful treasures. I really enjoy reading about your adventures, Linda, and seeing your beautiful pictures.

    Traveling, far or near, is part of our continuing education and gives us new ideas, I think.

    We have the same fridge!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a lovely trip, Linda. When are you folks coming to Hawaii??? Would love to see you over lunch sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun to relive your great purchases after you have been home for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful idea to mail your purchases home rather than try to keep them with you. Kind of like Christmas when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet you felt just like a kid opening their Christmas presents huh Linda? :-) - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.