Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy Birthday, Tom

My husband is 71 today.

We both find that quite startling.  Just before we said good night last night and rolled over to go to sleep, I asked him if he ever thought about how in the world we had become so old!  "Yes," he answered.  And that's about as introspective as he gets.  It was enough.

We have been married since March 1969, over 43 years.  He is the best choice I have ever made, the most important time I ever answered "yes".  We have been partners in life, lovers, and best friends.  When people say "Happy Birthday, and many more", I certainly hope so.  I would be lost without Tom.

So how are we celebrating his birthday?  We're not, really.  He's really not into celebrating himself.  I did have a card for him this morning.  We took our time over breakfast, reading the paper and listening to the radio.  It was all about last night's debate.  Neither of us was too pleased and certainly didn't want to hear any Republican gloating.  We sort of felt like we do when our soccer team loses.  My analogy was that like in soccer, we lost the first round of the playoffs, but our team had a better record, and we have a better team.

But back to the birthday boy.  When the mall opened at 10:00 we were there at Sears to buy a new vacuum cleaner.  It's not really Tom's gift, but we needed a new one.  
The black one replaces the white one.  The power head went out on the old one.

Yesterday he steam cleaned all of the carpets upstairs.  This is the last of the big renovation and cleaning projects.  Now we're done, and just have to maintain it all.  You should be relieved to know that I did the vacuuming this morning with the new vacuum cleaner, not Tom, although he usually does most of the vacuuming.  I do have standards!  I told him he didn't have to work on his birthday.

Of course, Tom said he wasn't going to just sit around.  Instead he worked for several hours this morning while I went for my exercise walk.
We had some old carpeting that we removed from the living room that was still in good shape.  Jill wanted some cut into carpet squares that she could use at school for kids to sit on.  I think there will be more than enough!  And one more job done!

For the first time in quite a while we both have several hours this afternoon that we can just do as we please.  Tom just ordered a new e-book from Amazon.  He will be reading and napping.  I plan to finish this post, go outside and clean bird baths, and do some reading too.

I'll cook a light dinner since we are both trying to limit calories this week.  Tom doesn't even want a cupcake with a candle.

But we will have a family celebration on Saturday.  Jill and Corey and the kids, Jake and hopefully Tad, and Tom's twin, Jan, and Ann will be here.  The sun is still shining, and it should be about 70.  We're cooking ribs.  And there will be cake!

12 comments:

  1. Linda, I often think about how close you and Tom are and wonder what the other will do when one of you is gone. That won't be a problem for me. Bob is wonderful but we share very little in common. I turned 70 the other day and I found it somewhat disturbing. I seem to feel older now and I'm not happy about that. I say both of you need to shoot for 90. When Bob turned 80 this year I asked him to shoot for 90 but he says that's too high so we've set his next goal as 85. Personally, I'm shooting for 90.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your days and weekend plans sound good to me. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly do seem like the best suited of couples. I wish Tom many happy returns of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Tom! He is just about exactly a year older than I am, and I too wonder how I got here. I sure don't feel like an elderly person. Your wonderful home is in good shape now, and it seems to me that you two might find time to settle back and enjoy the coming winter. I love your posts and especially appreciate this one for some reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like the wonderful life. I'm 73 and it's amazing how fast t hat came around...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Tom! It looks like you two had a nice day. Love the new vacuum. There is nothing better than a good vacuum and nothing worse than one that doesn't work well.

    Hope that you all have a great time on Saturday.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your wonderful, amazing Tom! You have such a beautiful life together. We don't celebrate our birthdays too much either, but if our family is around, we'll go out to dinner or cook something a little more special just like you. It really seems like the years are beginning to fly by even faster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds to me like a perfect way to spend a birthday, except for the part about cutting up carpet sections. That couldn't have been easy, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I here the weather is really nice out there. Gregg talked to a colleague in Seattle this morning. Happy Birthday Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday, Tom. I didn't get to Blogger yesterday, but it sounds like you had a nice day. Hope the whole year is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your best friend. I think that is the secret of a long marriage, being best friends.
    Jules and I often talk about how we never visualized being married 50 years when we were young. Now with 47 years on the horizon 50 isn't far off. It is hard to remember when I wasn't married to my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Happy Birthday to Tom and many, many more.

    2. Know what you mean about having made that right choice. Good for you both!

    3. I love vacuum cleaners -- it's a family joke. I don't know why -- they're just 'fun' for me? So that would have been a perfect b-day gift for me.

    4. Life is good when there's cake!! (or even a chocolate chip cookie!)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.