Friday, October 12, 2012

Picked

The rain returned today, after 80 dry days, but the rain is very light so far.  We expect heavy rain beginning Sunday.  So it is time to get things picked and harvested and put away in the garden.

 Tom picked apples from one of our little espaliered trees last week and some went into the apple cake I made for birthday weekend.  I will be using more today to make another apple cake for the family cider bee tomorrow at my brother's house.
 I picked more tomatoes yesterday.  A few went into the freezer, and we will eat the rest fresh.
 I also picked dahlias and zinnias for renewed bouquets for the house.

 Tom has continued to take cuttings for starts for next year.
 Yesterday he made a new batch of potting soil and planted up echeveria starts.
 We will also overwinter some of these tropicals in the greenhouse.
 Along with the real stuff I also harvested the glass flowers, picking them from their re-bar stems.  I brought them in and washed them and now Tom has stored them in the attic for the winter.  We have a workbench full of more in the garage waiting to be assembled.  That will be a rainy day project. 


On this Friday afternoon it is currently 54 degrees and raining lightly here in Seattle.  Summer was great while it lasted, well into fall.

11 comments:

  1. I am always so amazed at the bounty from your garden. Those apples look fantastic There were no apples on our daughter's apple.tree this year. I think it was because of the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful tomatoes. And the bouquets are stunning, Linda. A rainy day project? You should have plenty now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had rain today also in eastern Oregon. It has turned colder and I can see that the trees are just starting to turn yellow. The spouse has dismantled the garden. We've got gourds drying...what will we do with all those gourds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have rain too...very unusually but needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so happy to hear about rain! We had hoped it would happen before we left. It is raining here in Salt Lake City this evening and is cold and feels like winter. Hoping to get to GA before snow flies in Iowa where we make our next stop.

    Your yard looks lovely in every season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a nice garden, Linda. I enjoyed looking at the pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, we were out picking apples today. All the trees did fairly well some better that others of course. I made some applesauce and two apple pies today. Well Bob peeled the apples and made the crust---we sometimes compete over who has the best recipe. Instead of working we are taking off to visit my daughter in EW. I envy you your work ethic. Mine got lost in the shuffle somewhere. LOL MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are both very well organised - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! What kind of glue do you use to hold your glass flowers together with?

    I knew that it has been pretty, but I didn't realize that it has been 80 days of sunshine for you guys. I wonder how long it has been for us? We had a thunder and lightening storm in the middle of the night awhile back, and got a few minutes of rain, and a sprinkle or two on Friday but that has been it. Let's see what the winter brings.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We sliced the rest of our apples and put them in the dehydrator. Baggies of healthy snacks!

    We have a hundred green tomatoes or so left. Pretty soon it will be time to pick them and layer them in paper bags to ripen indoors.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.