Friday, August 9, 2013

Good Bye Columbus

We went from rain to shine and from Chillicothe to Columbus today, and soon we will depart Columbus and return home to Seattle by way of Memphis.  We leave Columbus at 6:00 pm and arrive in Seattle at 10:40 pm, thanks to the three hour time difference.

Today we added to our list of visited state capitols.  Since it was raining hard we opted to go on the tour, which turned out to be interesting, and by the time we were finished the rain had stopped and we were able to tour the town a bit.

A block away from the capitol square is the commons.  A big grassy area with lovely plantings, it was full of tents set up for an event this weekend.
Columbus is situated on the Scioto river, just as Chillicothe is.

a fun water park on the River Walk.
The capitol is right down town.  Two blocks away, we had lunch at the Elevator Brewing Company, in a fun old building.


The Procrastinator Doppelbock was very tasty.
By now you know us and how we do things.  We had just enough time to find the Jackson Park Conservatory and Botanical garden.  We drove past many lovely old mansions on Broad Street on the way to the park.
 Does every garden now have Chihully glass?



 And more butterflies.  Here are just a few.

The enormous blue one kept flying away.

And now it's about time for us to fly away too.

7 comments:

  1. It's been such a long time since we've been to Ohio. I love all your photos. The Chihuly glass is so gorgeous. I wonder if they have any in Hawaii. Maybe it's too expensive. I'm really loving your tour, Linda. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful adventure with us! Chihuly glass is like Rodgers and Hammerstein - pretty but overdone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Chihuly glass, and I had to laugh at that comment about it being pretty but overdone. All depends on your point of view, I guess. And I hope you both have an uneventful flight home. I'll breathe easier when I know my Seattle friends are safe and sound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have certainly enjoyed your adventures and travels.
    I have never seen Chihully glass and am now off to Google it.
    Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe return home, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great trip and I'm so glad you got to see some of the Chihully glass!! It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.