Thursday, August 1, 2013

Going Up The River

We went to jail today.  We also went up the Susquehanna River.

It took us a while to get to Sunbury today, over the mountains and through the rain and construction.  When we finally did arrive, we had a last meal before going to the old jail in the Northumberland Courthouse.




That's where they store old records from 18th and 19th century.  It is literally a dungeon, a dank and dark basement with rooms that were once cells.  We were assured that the probate records we were seeking were in the room behind the copy machine.

We were greeted by two old guys who were just finishing up TWO WEEKS of property record searching down there who assured us that the ghosts only came around after dark.

(There are no photos of the dungeon, as much as I would have liked to record it, because I had to check my camera at the security station at the door.)

We spent most of the middle of the day down there, searching through disorganized, dusty and musty old papers.  We did not find the probate records for Jonas Tyson,  so we did not find the evidence we were seeking, but we did once again find some bits and pieces and a few more leads.  When we finally emerged back into the light, the rain had passed, we grabbed a late lunch and then did a little walking tour of the town.

We found the "new" jail. 
 It looks pretty secure.  I'm thinking it may have had a previous purpose.
There was a very pretty town square in front of the courthouse. 


 And lots of fun old houses.
Sunbury is on the Susquehanna River.  Leaving there we headed across and up the river to Danville.  

Along the way I got a chance to finally do a bit of antique shopping here.

I did find a small pottery vase to buy,  but I was equally as interested in the crops in the fields behind the old barn.
 This is a field of plum tomatoes, the kind used to make tomato paste.
We arrived in Danville and found our hotel, then immediately got connected.

I looked up the menu at the brew pub I had read about.  It sounded good, so after getting moved in, off we went again in search of pub grub.


The Old Forge Brewing Company is located on the old main street of the town.  It serves up good food and good beer.  I sampled Tom's Slack Tub Stout and we both had the most amazing salad, the smoked chicken salad with greens, nuts, feta, bacon and strawberries.  
Then we walked to main street admiring old buildings, the court house,
and the river front parks.






Gone the sun, 
Day four is done.
And we are free to be tourists for a few days, as well as wedding guests on Saturday.  We meet up with family in Stroudsburg tomorrow evening.

10 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your trip. Your description is great .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like the most amazing salad, with all kinds of things I never imagined together. And such fine pictures of the town. Except for those dusty dank bits in a dungeon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you certainly pack your days full...looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Sorry you didn't find any info on that guy. I doubt I would have your patience doing the same thing. Of course, my relatives and records are back in North and South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That jail is something. Sort of looks like a miniature castle. I bet its history is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the architecture in that town. What a step back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do find the most interesting places to visit, Linda. The whole town looks like it belongs in a museum. Isn't it the most wonderful thing to just look on the web for the best places to eat? I love it that you're sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting little town, too bad you didn't find the records that you were looking for :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures and amazing architecture in that little town.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.