Thursday, March 8, 2018

Women and Oscars

The Academy Awards show is already old news, but I've been busy and I needed a rainy day to find the time to fiddle away on the frivolous. 

Because we had a soccer game Sunday afternoon, I recorded the Oscars and watched it delayed, fast forwarding through the commercials and some of the musical numbers. Most of the nominated songs seemed unlistenable to me. 

Of course the big awards are for best picture and actor and actress. Before we were interrupted by the Olympics, Tom and I saw six of the nine nominated movies. My favorites were Darkest Hour, The Post, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. We didn't like the winner, The Shape of Water, at all. What a strange, mixed up movie, but then that seems to be the trend for Best Picture these days.  Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill (Darkest Hour) and Frances McDormand as a cantankerous, grief stricken mother seeking justice (Three Billboards) certainly deserved to win. 

I guess the viewership for the Oscars show is way down again this year. I am hearing it billed as a self-congratulatory event for Hollywood, which I guess it is. The nominated  movies are hardly the big box offices hits, but then, like good literature, quality and popularity don't often go hand in hand. 

Many of us watch the show for the fashions, and here is where I have an issue. This year is supposedly all about the women.  Time's Up and Me Too campaigns have brought much needed attention to gender harassment and abuse. Women are speaking up and acting out and demanding changes. It's a good thing. So then why are women dressing like this?
 "Plunging necklines" were the trend. This was an example of Best Dressed! I thought she left off the front of her dress. 

With some you just worried that something was going to pop out and get loose. 

Between the neckline to the waist and the slit almost to the crotch, I guess it's nice that her arms are covered. 
I guess if the Greeks did it, we can too. 

And then there is This! OMG!
Women have breasts. That's not news. Men are attracted to women's breasts. That's not news either. If women don't want to be treated merely as sex objects, why do they act as if they do? Especially when every other speech was about not treating women that way. 

There were examples of decolletage with class. 

Facebook told me that today is International Women's Day. First of all I wonder that we still need a day? I personally claim every day. But then I am old and wise and, like Frances McDormand, a bit cantankerous, and I am no longer competing on the stage of life, trying to attract attention with my body. I have always preferred using my brain anyway. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I’m seeing The Shape of Water this evening. I see very few movies but was invited to go see this movie with Rodger and his family. These days I’m turning down no social invitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about women's fashions and emphasis on showing everything...says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief! The dress in the first picture is see-thru below the waist too! I completely agree with what you've said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those really were good grief moments of history. And they become the role models for youngsters. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same about those dresses with boobs hanging out, but I loved The Shape of Water and would have loved to see Sally Hawkins win Best Actress. She was amazing in that movie, IMHO. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have to agree with DJan. We really enjoyed The Shape of Water also. Granted, it was a rather in-your-face movie at times that tried to shock you, but on the whole we did enjoy seeing it. My son-in-law did think 3 Billboards should have won Best Picture. We haven't seen it yet, but we will.

      Delete
  6. Agree with you completely on the gowns

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have naked bodies under our clothes. I don't think we need to dress in a way that simply advertises that fact and nothing else. I know there are those that will say women should be able to dress the way they want, but I wonder why anyone wants to dress in a way that requires constant monitoring or loads of sticky tape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the fabric meant to cover their chests fell to the back and became trains. Do they dress this way because they feel good about their bodies? Because they're slaves to the latest fashion? I agree that if women want not to be objectified, this may not be the best choice. On the other hand, the argument that the victim was asking for it is disgusting. Perhaps when men start showing up to awards shows wearing loincloths or speedos...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate those necklines. When you have to use spray glue to keep from falling out of a dress that should give you a clue not to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that Shape of Water was not a great movie. A good movie, but nothing that really moved me. And, yes, dressing sexy and asking men not to touch is a bit schizo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband said the same thing...more like... "every woman on there has boobs hanging out or just about and then they talk about sexual harassment?" A sad state of affairs that hollywood bunch. I have not seen the movies...maybe someday :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. As for those plunging necklines and overly exposed cleavage, we noticed it too and wondered about it. Why?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.