Friday, October 11, 2019

Home From the Sea, Part 1

We had a great get away this week, spending three nights at the family cabin at Rockaway Beach on the Oregon Coast. 

On Monday the drive down was cloudy and drizzly. We made a lunch stop and then a coffee stop in Warrington, on the Oregon side of the Columbia after crossing the bridge at Astoria.  We made our usual stop at the overlook on Neakanie Mountain. No blue sky and sea today, but it wasn't raining here.
 It was mid afternoon when we arrived at the cabin. We unloaded the car and then went for a walk on the beach before the rain set in.
Tuesday morning didn't look to bad from the front porch of the cabin, but we knew the squalls were lined up out over the ocean.
 We decided to spend the day prowling around and dodging the squalls, which, when they hit, bring pounding rain and fierce winds. We spent some time at an antique mall in Wheeler, and then enjoyed the view over Nehalem Bay. 

 Then we decided to stop at the Jetty Fishery and see about buying a crab for dinner. They were busy cooking and cleaning someone's catch.  We picked out a two pounder from the live tank, and then waited for the poor fellow to get cooked in the tank.That string with the blue tag hanging out of the cook pot is our dinner. 
 This is a view of the mouth of Nehalem Bay, behind the cook shack.
 The crab innards and shell are just returned to the water. The gulls are waiting. 

 There he is. 

Watching the process, I had a new experience. I was offered the crab heart, so I ate it. It is small, white and star shaped, like this.
Since we had crab for dinner, we had to get the rest of the fixings so we drove into Tillamook to the Fred Meyer store to get salad, bread, and a Washington wine we like. Then we stopped at  Blue Heron Cheese to get their  brie. They have a new sculpture, an enormous heron!

 Dinner was yummy.
 And as the sun set between squalls the sky lit up.
It was a good day.

11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely, peaceful getaway, despite the squalls. I am all in favor of unique and new culinary experiences. I wonder, did the heart taste any different from the rest of the crabmeat? I want a star-shaped heart in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I am not a fan of squalls, but they sure can liven up the atmosphere. I have never seen a crab heart before. And that is one humongous statue! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great place to go and they have awesome food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh... You got hit by spam. I've seen that one before. Spam has been starting up again.

    I am so envious of your wonderful crab dinner. I do love crab. You both do live in one of the most beautiful parts of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that the crab was cooked for you!! Great that you had an enjoyable get-away in spite of not altogether great weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crab looks so good! Sunsets are beautiful at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful day! I always look forward to your header picture opening. It's so pretty! My sister and I were talking about you this week, (all good, of course). They, Shelby and her husband, and my cousin Pat and her husband, are leaving this morning for the Oregon Coast for twelve days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun talk about fresh crab and a luscious meal-beautiful scenery-you had it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great post! I love that Heron sculpture! And getting crab cooked fresh sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really turned a rainy day into a fun and entertaining one. Loved the heron sculpture and the sunset capped off a fun day in spite of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live in such a beautiful part of the country. I always enjoy the posts about your trips. You take me places I will probably never see.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.