Wednesday, May 18, 2022

An Update and a Garden

 We have followed the newest guidelines for Covid and are cautiously back out in the world. We went grocery shopping, masked. Yesterday I got a haircut, wearing my KN95 mask to protect my stylist. Today Tom is at the dentist, getting a long awaited crown replaced. We are mostly restored to health, but still have some lingering head cold symptoms and we run out of energy easily. 

It's cold, wet, and blustery here today so I am spending time on the computer, catching up on communication and trying to set up a new ORCA  account for the new light rail pass. The so called "new and improved" is not letting me in, rejects my password, and won't send me a link for a new one. And of course the phone number for help doesn't help or let you actually talk to someone. I sent an email for "help" and they will get back to me in "two or three days".

I might miss them. We are looking forward to our get away to Friday Harbor and San Juan Island early Friday morning. I will spend more time on the computer this afternoon planning some details, like what to see, where to go, and most importantly, where to eat. We'll meet up with Jake Friday evening when he gets home from work. Hopefully the ferry he will ride to get home from another island will be running on time. Island life can be an adventure.

Some time ago, before Covid, we visited a garden near Gig Harbor belonging to Tatyana Searcy. I realized when I arrived that this was the garden I had seen many times on Tanya's beautiful photo blog. It was great to see it in person. Now I am going to show you some of it.

Tanya posts monthly with a collection of photos taken over that month. Her garden is mature, green, with flowers depending on the season, and decorated with objects she collects. 

















This large pot blocks the path to the golf course behind the trees.
A fun potting bench.

What to do when you don't use a door. Turn the steps into a plant bench. 










This perennial bed is raised up over the drain field. 





Unfurling Bird Nest fern above, and spiky Gunnera emerging below. 








A lovely landscape, interesting plants and fun stuff! Thanks, Tatyana! 


11 comments:

  1. Very lovely! But I wonder how many garden workers does she employ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Honolulu Aunty! There is one garden worker in this garden - me! :) I plant, weed, divide, trim, clean, move plants, thatch, aerate and reseed the lawn, etc. I have a helper - my husband who mows and trims the lawn. We used hired help to install patio and stepping stones. P.S. I also clean the house myself :))

      Delete
  2. Nice gardens:) Have a fun trip and I hope you both feel better everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good eye for composing these photos of a very large expansive garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Big Bird's girlfriend laid some eggs there! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful garden with so much variety. I don't imagine she takes care of it without help though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Granny Marigold! As I already wrote to Honolulu Aunty, there is one garden worker in this garden - me! :) I plant, weed, divide, trim, clean, move plants, thatch, aerate and reseed the lawn, etc. I have a helper - my husband who mows and trims the lawn. We used hired help to install patio and stepping stones.
      We built the house, so there was no garden here. I planted all the plants, except for 2-3 heavy trees.
      P.S. I also clean the house myself :)) There were several attempts to hire helpers, but they and me have different cleaning standards :))

      Delete
  6. It is a truly beautiful garden. Thanks for the tour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you and Tom are getting better but also that you are still using precautions. Love that garden with all the variety of foliage plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That garden is absolutely stunning. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you and Tom are about over COVID and can get out again. Just found out yesterday that my daughter Lynn and her fiance both have COVID. The garden is beautiful but Linda I just looked at your last post and honestly, nothing can top the beauty of your gardens. You and Tom grow the most beautiful flowers and plants.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.