Monday, May 9, 2022

They Brought Me Lilacs

 

Jill, Isaac and Irene spent their Mother's Day planting their garden. That makes me smile because that's how I used to like to spend my Mother's Day too when I was still working and time for gardening was precious. 

But then I invited them for dinner. I figure being a mother and treating your daughter, who is the active mother now, is the best way to celebrate the day, and besides that we needed their help. 

So after a dinner of roast chicken, pilaf, asparagus, and fresh fruit, we put them to work carrying boxes and small furniture downstairs to the dining room (we ate in the kitchen). Wednesday is carpet installation day and I spent weeks getting everything organized. Now all the small stuff is out of the three bedrooms and the office. We are paying the installers to move the big stuff from room to room.

It's a good thing I got all of this done ahead of time because both Tom and I are suffering from what we are calling a cold, or an allergy attack. We were worried so two days ago we did a Covid test and that was negative. We haven't had a cold in years and being sick isn't fun. We'll have more work to do tomorrow, taking down our office, but today light house keeping and laundry are all we are attempting. 

After we got the work done, me just directing traffic - no carrying stuff down stairs for me - we gathered back around the kitchen table for brownies and ice cream. They earned it!

And today as I sit in my recliner I will be enjoying that big bouquet of lilacs from Jill's garden. She knows I love them. 

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have family to count on for their labor and help. The lilacs are lovely. Whole Foods has a small bunch of them for $30! I put my nose into the bucket but there was hardly any smell to them. Needless to say, I didn't get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ready for the carpet ! Hope all goes well! I was the lone worker today helping my Mom clear out two bathrooms, she had so much "stuff" it is making me think about everything I have in my own home...if I were not so tired I would clean and purge, but right now my parents house needs to get on the market and get sold....and that means lots of work...I am so thankful for the cool weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lilacs are beautiful and the shared work makes Mother's day a family time. So glad they could help you and I am sure Jill was grateful to not have kitchen duties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you had help moving boxes. I hope all goes smoothly on Wednesday and that both you and Tom bounce back from whatever ails you.
    The lilacs are wonderful. I can almost smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My lilacs are not in bloom yet, but I will get to enjoy them this year since I am back in VT in time. Your day sounds busy. Good to have helpers for moving tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilacs are in profusion around here right now. So lovely! And I'm glad you got help and didn't try to overdo it. Hope you and Tom are feeling better soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect Mother's Day! I love your cover picture - you always have such a great variety of flowers blooming! I know what you mean about colds - we have also been cold free for years - I think after a few colds every year when we were younger gave us immunity for most cold germs, but at the slightest hint of a cough/sore throat/runny nose, we have covid fear. I got the free tests when the USPS offered them, and so far have resisted using them, and my imagined symptoms magically have gone away so far. :(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.