Sunday, May 29, 2022

San Juan Islands Weekend, Part 4

 Day four arrived, a Monday, and Jake went back to work. We had ferry reservations for 4:15 and we had a day to fill.

We took our time getting going, ate the last of our breakfast provisions that we had brought along, I made and packed my peanut butter sandwich, Tom had half of his Roche Harbor sandwich left from the day before, our apples and chocolate, for our mid day lunch, wherever we might be, packed our gear and set off for one unexplored part of San Juan Island we had not visited yet. 

Jackson's Beach is only a mile from Friday Harbor and it's where Jake had gone paddle boarding the day before. Monday morning was cloudy but fine for beach walking. 

My walking stability has deteriorated - I hope to get some answers next week - but Tom got me over and through the driftwood to join him for a walk down the beach.

I loved this idea. I am always looking for a good walking stick on the beach at Whidbey Island. 
We drove the long way back to Friday Harbor and saw more interesting sights. Then we decided to see what was open along the tourist shopping street. Tom bought a tee shirt, and then we found this wonderful Northwest Coastal Indian Art gallery. We looked at everything, and I did finally select an Orca print. I love all of this but it is way beyond my price bracket. 








Some dark clouds brought rain briefly but did send us to Jake's porch to eat our lunch. Then we bought lattes from a nearby coffee shop and enjoyed them in a nearby park. 
In the afternoon, under a bright blue sky, we strolled the docks.

Then we settled in at this table to relax and read for a while.
At 3:00 Tom could park the car in the ferry holding lot. We read some more, and walked over to get some ice cream at the shop by the ferry dock. At 4:15, as our ferry arrived only 15 minutes late, quite lucky for island time,  we settled in our car, ready to depart. 

It was a wonderful four days and posting these blogs has allowed me to enjoy it even longer and appreciate it even deeper. 

Thanks for being my audience. 

9 comments:

  1. Jake is so lucky to live in such a beautiful spot. Loved the Indian art. As for that pile of driftwood, I'd think a goat would have had trouble navigating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful place, and magnificent art. Thanks for all the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The island is certainly beautiful. Amazing art. I would have been tempted to buy a piece. So sorry you still have mobility issues. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great look at some fantastic aboriginal art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty island! I enjoyed seeing all your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a lovely place to visit. The photos are so very pretty, and a great way to retain those memories!
    I love all the native art, though like you, most of it is well out of my price range.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had mostly good weather for your last day. What a great idea those walking sticks are. Very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and relaxing island, and you get to see your son! That is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The native artworks are truly beautiful. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful visit with Jake.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.