I think I might have photos! We'll see. If I am getting photo access now, I won't wait to post. This is long.
On Monday we did our usual laundry and house work, and then in the afternoon we met with our insurance and financial advisors. We had received the latest bill for our Long Term Care Insurance and it was significantly higher, with notice that it will be ever higher next year. We needed advice.
Eventually we decided to stay the course. Having to save for your own elder care would cost even more per year and it's really too late the do that now in our 80's.
On Tuesday we had our Zoom meet up, I went for a walk in the park, and got a haircut. And I picked flowers.
And our TV died. We had to look back in my blog archive to determine that it was 14 years old. The screen went black. Google research informed us that the back light was out. Since that was a very expensive repair we decided it was time for a new one. We spent Tuesday evening doing research. I identified the TV I wanted. We researched what stores might have it and for what price.
Wednesday morning as we were getting ready to go shopping we heard the often broadcast ad from Video Only. They were not on our list, but the ad told us "you would be sorry" if you don't go there. So we did.
They still had a few of the TVs I wanted, last year's model, and at a lower price. We bought it. Then we spent the rest of the day setting it up and trying to get it to work for us. New TVs are set up for streaming. We still have cable because we just want a remote to give us what we want, which is mostly network tv.
I think is was by accident that we found a way to get our cable. We watched tv.
Thursday morning I went shopping since Kohls was having a sale and since it had been a long time since I had shopped, I would lose my Kohls credit card if I didn't use it. Using your Kohls card is how you get the good deals. I shopped for new bras. What an awful ordeal! Anyway when I finally got home Tom had worked on the tv set up some more and we have a good enough system that only takes one more remote than we were already using.
I rode my stationary bike for exercise.
Friday was breakfast and grocery shopping day. Then Tom harvested his crop if Poblano peppers. I roasted them, we removed the skins, Tom chopped some for the freezer, and I made Chili relleno casserole for dinner. A lot of work, but really good.
On Saturday Jill and Jake went hiking in the mountains. They found a furry friend.
Tom and I went to the Des Moines Marina farmers market. We bought berries for Jill and almond croissants for us. Then we got coffee at the Quarter Deck and sat and enjoyed the croissants, the coffee, the view, and the people.
We did a little walking there, then delivered the berries to Jill's house before joining the protest rally back in Des Moines.
We took the summer off, but we decided it was time to express ourselves once again, and release some build up anger. There were about 30 of us and I talked to almost all of them. I had a good time laughing and talking with like minded people.
The political scene is heating up. I'm working on staying chill.
Oh, I'm wearing Sounders gear here. They played in the evening. Another tie.
Today I wore Seahawks gear. We walked in the morning. I watched the game in the afternoon. The Hawks won.
All is good.



You are a very busy couple. You have to research things thee days. I only have one computer so when that's down my research is over.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a bummer that your long term care went up and the TV pooped out. Nice research on the TV. Amazing how the chipmunk wanted your son in law's legs, especially in that spanse of scenery. Wonder if it's trained to ask hikers for food. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteSuch pretty flowers! Shopping for Tv's is no fun..so complicated! Nice view from Jill and Jakes hike!
ReplyDeleteYour flowers are gorgeous! I've never grown zinnias, but must write that in my garden book to consider next year.
ReplyDeleteFourteen for a television is a pretty good run. Nice to find one that was a lower price too. We've gone to completely streaming these days, and I only need two remotes, but finding stuff on the various sites is annoying. I tend to watch the same things over and over because of it.
Good to see that you are able to get out to the protests.
Staying the course with Long Term Care Insurance is probably best... if you can do it. Ours went way up beyond our capability years ago, so we 'downsized' (guess that's what you call it). But we have a friend who 'stayed the course' despite all the enormous increases, and she now has real need of it's use (she is like us - in her 80's). And yes, you seem to be a very busy couple. Sorry about the TV... but the upside is that TV's have gotten less expensive (not like groceries) these days. And I believe we have a "No Kings" protest coming up in October. The last one we attended had over 5,000... and it was not downtown, but on a street corner.
ReplyDelete9 years ago I bought a long term care policy that had very high fixed monthly premiums for 10 years, and after that, no more premiums and the policy was in place. I chose it because it also had a death benefit - so if I didn't need to use the long term care part of it, my heirs would get the entire coverage amount, or whatever was left if I did use part of the long term care part. That means I only have 1 more year to pay, hurray! Congrats on your new TV and being able to hook it up!
ReplyDelete