Thursday, January 24, 2019

What I've Been Up To

How is it that each day goes by so fast and yet the month of January is so s-l-o-w?  As one day fades into the next, it's hard to remember what kept me so busy each day.

Sunday evening we were up and down, putting PBS Masterpiece on hold as we bundled up to check on the progress of the Super Blood Wolf Moon. I just used my cell phone to record it, but it was cool, and cold.


 Besides housework and laundry on Monday, we got in our walk. I have been doing about two miles almost every day and it is getting a bit easier each day. I am also trying to get in some reading time each day. I am almost finished with Michelle Obama's book, "Becoming". 

On Tuesday afternoon we were there for Irene's last middle school soccer game, in the rain, 
 We can find her on the field because she is the one with the long blond pony tail and the orange shoes. She had fun and her team won most of their games. 

One of our neighbors, Peter, who we know slightly since he is our city councilman, stopped by to see what was going on with the construction he could glimpse from his place. He thought maybe we were building. But, no, it's next door. 

Our borrowed cat, Charlie, came by while he was here, and Tom found out he is Charlie's owner. The neighbor is Chinese, and the cat has a Chinese name that Tom didn't understand, so I will still call her Charlie. She comes begging for snacks and attention almost every day. 

Today I went to lunch with a small group of retired educator friends. That was after I did my PT exercises and went grocery shopping. When I got back I went for my walk and then picked a few greens from the garden to fill out my bouquet of grocery store carnations. 

I have also been doing a bit of sewing most days, just fun stuff, using up scraps. This table topper includes some fabric scraps left over from a dress I made for Jill when she was about six years old. That makes it almost 40 years old. I am finishing up two matching place mats.

Tomorrow I go back to the dentist to get one permanent crown and have the work done for the next one. My tooth has settled down pretty well. We'll see how it goes. But, ugh, I don't enjoy going to the dentist. 

I'm not enjoying the news much these days either. I try not to dwell on it, but I really wish there was something I could do to help the federal employees and those who are in support jobs who are not getting paid right now. This shutdown needs to end.

And with that, I'll end.

13 comments:

  1. i know just what you mean. I am busy all day and the days seem to fly by but then it is STILL January. But at my age, can't wish time away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have tickets to see Michelle Obama when she comes to Portland in February. I’m very excited about that. I’m wearing my RBG pin. Got to keep her on the bench for at least two more years. Her body may die but her spirit will keep right on. Oh my, I so admire that woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. January may be slow but you still get lots done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to hear that you are able to walk a couple of miles and getting better all the time. I too feel like I wish there was something I could do to help those affected by the shutdown. And I am with you about not enjoying the dentist chair, ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you have a bilingual cat in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I have to go exercise as you have motivated me as well as guilted me out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie evidently enjoys the co-ownership. At least you know she isn't stray. It looks like they are building a town next to you. Mercy. Glad the exercise is helping you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. January is incredibly slow but it'll be over next week. Sounds like you're keeping busy as usual but having a little time to rest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a long slow time of year but at least we are getting more light each evening and lots of sunshine and 50 degree weather so can't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh to the monster house next door. Those foreign Chinese are ruining our quiet neighborhoods with their massive houses that turn into apartment like complexes.

    Otherwise, all else in your life sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy to find that I can finally comment on your blog again. I learned that if I access blogs through Chrome rather than Safari, I can comment. This is all crazy to me, but I will do what works.

    Your week has been busy. The days do seem to go by so quickly while the month drags on. I'm impressed by the sewing activity. I keep thinking I will take it up again since I just bought a new machine, but as of yet, no sewing action around her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have also found lately that Chrome is working better for me. I used to use Firefox, but not anymore. I don’t know what’s going on. Thank goodness the shutdown is over... at least for 3 weeks so workers can get some pay. It’s pitiful that this happened to them. That house is HUGE! Even though you took the photo with your cellphone, you can see a bit of red. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the orange shoes! The grass is so green there! We watched the moon from the kitchen window as it was way to cold to be outside that night. Your bouquet is very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.