Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hot Air

My title today is borrowed for the blog of Michelle Malkin. I have spent the last 45 minutes getting up to speed on who the hell this Michelle is, in light of the flap over Rachael Ray's scarf in her Dunkin' Donuts ad. After some study, I discovered why I didn't know who she was. I don't usually read or watch her kind of stuff. What "kind of stuff" is that? Well, the scarf incident should give you some clue. Google the Michelle Malkin Wikipedia site for more. There, among other gems, you will find that she wrote a book titled In Defense of Interment: The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror. You will also see that she is the daughter of Filipino immigrants. Branded by liberal opposition as the Asian Ann Coulter, she responded that she is "not Asian, I'm an American, and as to the comparison with Ann, I consider that as a sort of compliment. I admire Ann Coulter". Some role model. I also checked out a bit of her blog, where I found again her focus on "jihadists", and the whole campaign of fear mongering. She is also in a running battle with Keith Olbermann of MSNBC's Countdown. Now I watch Keith often, and while I agree that he can get carried away, I find it interesting and amusing that as one of the few openly liberal voices in mainstream ( albeit cable) media, he has become the devil incarnate to the many rabid voices of right wing conservatism, of which Michelle Malkin is a member. Before going on line, I read an editorial in the Seattle PI about the "ambition gap", the reason that there are so few women in elected office. It seems there is a gap in the drive of ambition between men and women. In light of the Scott McClellan book and it's quotes about Bush seeking "greatness" by being a "war president", spare me male ambition. Michelle Malkin seems to have been blessed with a full dose. It would be easy for me to get caught up in all of this political "hot air". I do enjoy a good exchange of ideas. But there is something evil in the hate mongering so prevalent in much of it. I think I need to go out into my garden and let the fresh air clean out my mind.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter just mentioned the Rachel Ray thing to me. That kind of racial fear mongering is a sad thing and to hold up Ann Coulter as a role model is even more pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did read this but didn't comment as i'm not into politics and negative bashing so i ignore it...lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF?! Something about a scarf?! I'm confused... has the Fourth Reich sprung up in America?!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.