Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Life With Josy

It has been almost six months now since Josy came to live with us. I think she's finally adjusted, as much as a neurotic cat can be.  


She seems to have stopped her fur mowing, and her hair is growing back in.  


She has been loving the sunny, dry weather and spends lots more time outside.  Therefore she has been quite annoyed that it is raining again.  While she uses her cat door when we're not around, she has us trained to let her in and out of the patio door now, which is quite frequent, since she can't make up her mind if she wants to be in or out.


Within a few days of our removing the bird feeders, the bird killing stopped.  She was getting the ground birds that cleaned up under the feeders.  Now there are no easy pickings.


But the barfing continues.  Frequently on the carpet.  


Josy apparently doesn't like her domain soiled with the leavings of stomach upsets.  Each morning I go downstairs, where she is confined over night,  and I greet her with a hug, which she tolerates.  Then I feed her dry food and a few treats and return upstairs to get my day going.  Josy usually makes an appearance while I'm getting dressed, but on some days she is quite restless and me-ows until I go back downstairs with her.  On those days I know that I will find something unpleasant.


Sure enough, this morning there was another pile of barf on the carpet to clean up.  I have a recipe on the refrigerator for the clean up.  First scoop.  Then dish detergent in warm water, followed by a 1/3 vinegar water solution, followed by a water rinse.


While this clean up is in progress, Josy hides and lingers.

 She skulks around until all is good again.  I found her on her pedestal when I came back from getting the newspaper.  But when I grabbed the camera, she obviously thought "Not that flash again", and took off upstairs.
 It was time to retire to her box of sewing materials in the office closet.

She'll decide when she's ready for more contact.  


It's rainy again, so like me, she may be a bit grumpy.

16 comments:

  1. This post made me chuckle. And, no, I don't want another cat in my life. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she barfing hairballs or food? Barfed hairballs are nasty looking critters. Ask your vet what you can do. The only cats I've had barf in the house were the totally inside cats. If it's hairballs I think there's some jell you can use. Poor baby, I don't like cat barf. There must be something that can be done to stop this for her sake as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not hairballs. Just dry kibble that she has just eaten, probably too quickly. Vets have been consulted. She has golf balls in her food dish to slow her down. But about every 4 to 5 days she regurgitates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear she's not killing birds any more. She certainly looks mellow in that last picture! I was actually glad for the rain, for about a day. It can stop now, any time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, Josy and me feel the same way about the return of the rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a labor intensive cat, don't think I'd have the patience to clean up after her...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you love your kid, you gotta' love your kid's cat. She's now a member of our family. And frankly, cleaning up after Josy is much more pleasant than dirty diapers and flu vomit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Josie and she sounds like she's acclimating nicely -- we had a cat that vomited regularly -- never did find out what was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cat Larisa got a lion cut last week when it was sunny. Now that it's cooler and rainy she's staying inside and curling up on blankets and pillows. Poor girl.

    Larisa was five when she came to live with us. For the first three months she threw up, at least once, every kind of food we got for her. We finally found a brand she liked, and a couple of flavors, and the throwing up disappeared.

    Ready for the sun? Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with kitty....I don't like rain either. She certainly is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the things we do for your pets. Poor Josy, I hope she stops her vomiting soon. Perhaps she is just a very sensitive kitty and her tummy shows the results of her sensitivity. It is hard for some cats to adjust to new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes..my one cat never chews and barfs if he eats too fast. So we feed him small amounts several times a day in a dog treat ball that he has to roll to get the food out. It slows him down, gives him something to do and eliminated the eating too fast barf....

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least she doesn't try to deny responsibility. She looks so much like my son's old cat who lived with us for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cat barf is unpleasant and as long as you know she's not truly ill, it's not the worst behaviour. I had a female that used to pee on things. That was taking unpleasant up a few notches. But yes, you love them anyway. She's a lovely critter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our Alfie barfs occasionally. The vet says it's probably the brand of cat bicuits, so we changed them. Now he occasionally does it again. I think its because he eats them too quickly and his digestive system can't cope. So now we only give him a few at a time and make him wait for more. That seems to do the trick most times - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  16. Josey reminds me of The Puddha.. Sweet tuxedo cats are special.. Enjoy each other..

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.