Sunday, June 3, 2012

Revolutionaries

Lexington and Concord, MA are well know as the location where the Revolutionary War began.  This area is steeped in history.  But the Colonists were not the only revolutionaries to come from this area.

 We began our day on the Battle Green in Lexington.  Here the British Regulars and the Colonial Militia faced off for the first time.  It was meant to be a bloodless surrender of the colonists, but somebody fired a shot.  When the shooting ended, seven militia were dead, ten wounded, and the Red Coats were marching to Concord to capture the arms stored there by the colonist "Minute Men".  And so the War for Independence began.
 We visited as many historical sites as we could squeeze in today, beginning with a tour of the Buckman Tavern, an old inn on the green where the Militia gathered after Paul Revere arrived with news that "the Regulars are out".

 Next we walked the five or so blocks to the Hancock-Clark Parsonage, where Paul Revere arrived to tell Sam Adams and John Hancock that the Red Coats were on the move.  This was a particularly interesting tour as the house was full of the actual furnishings used then, and we learned a lot of family history.  It was John Hancock, a wealthy man, who was funding the Revolution.
 This building on the green is the first teachers school in this country.
 We had arranged to have lunch with my sisters before we went our separate ways, so we shot up to Concord, to the old Concord Inn, to meet for lunch.

 I had Yankee pot roast, of course.
 The War for Independence was not the only revolution started here.  Revolutionary thinking also found its home in Concord.  Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott, and Nathaniel Hawthorne all lived here, and died here, and are buried here on Author's Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.
                                    Thoreau
                                         Louisa
                               Hawthorne
                                          Emerson

 The North Bridge on the Concord river was the scene of the second battle, which sent the Red Coats fleeing back down Battle Road to Boston.  And as they went they we ambushed by militia around every bend and from behind every stone wall.


 Right next to the bridge was this farm owned by the Emerson family. Yep, the revolutions get all mixed together in the Concord pot.  And Nathaniel Hawthorne lived here too for a while.

 Over at the National Park Headquarters, located in an old "summer home" mansion, I had to have a photo of the magnificent old Copper Beach trees. 
 As you know, Thoreau was an early environmentalist, and dare I say, Hippie?  For about a year and a half he lived in a "hut" on Walden Pond.
 This is a replica of his house.

 It was located down this path, on the pond shore.
 Emerson's house was practically across the street from the Alcotts.

 This is where Louisa wrote Little Women.
 Her father's school.
 And the house where she grew up, which was another place where Hawthorne also lived.

 It was even a small part of the Underground Railroad.
 We were headed back to Lexington, following the Battle Road.  The Hartwells witnessed it first hand from their tavern along the road.

 Back in Lexington, the Munroe Tavern became a field hospital for wounded and dying Red Coats.
 And by now we needed a little aid ourselves, which we found at the Lexington Starbucks.

7 comments:

  1. Now that is what I would call a very full day! Great pictures, taken with your own camera, obviously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun, Linda! I really love following along with you on your trip. I especially love seeing the photos of you at these famous places. It makes me feel even more like I'm there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing tour and great photos. Thanks for the history lesson - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, what a fantastic post!!! Thanks for all of the pictures; I really got a feel for the area. It surprises me how simple Louisa's headstone is, though her home is sure fancy and saved.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am really sorry we didn't include Concord in our travels last fall. I had seriously considered it. After seeing your fantastic photos, I must get there. These photos were just wonderful. Thanks.

    As an English major, I would truly love seeing these historic places that held such prominence in American literature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tour. I'm ashamed to say I've lived in New England all my life but haven't seen more than 20% of what you shared here.

    I want to read Little Women again some day, but I've been saying this for years....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos indeed. I live in New England but have to confess I have only been to Boston to Red Sox games and visits with my best friend! I am so intrigued by your lovely photos that my husband and I must spend some time in Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.