Saturday, September 9, 2017

Midnight Marauders.

It happens every night now. We wake to find a new section of the lawn torn up.  We know who's doing it.

And then the other morning we caught them still malingering.
 These photos are cropped from zoomed photos taken through the window, but I think you can find the culprits. 

They are attracted by water and by shiny things. Ours is the only yard around that is kept watered during the summer, so they come to play and to forage and to drink. This kit below is climbing up a glass tower to get to the sprinkler water in the top bowl. 
Mama has two kits with her, although earlier in the summer there were three. 
 Caught in the act, they were on the move. 

 And this is what they leave behind. 

 We try to patch the rolled sod back in place, but it usually dries out. We put fencing wire over the dug sections, but we can't cover the whole lawn. 

 Where they don't roll back the sod, they dig holes - lots of them. 

They also have favorite places where they just roll around and play, smashing plants beneath them. 

This little bird bath is popular with small birds and big crows, but each time I refresh it, it is muddied by raccoons the next morning. They wash, drink and use it as a play pool. 
The garden is looking tired, and the lawn is beat up, but there are some bright spots.

The asters are blooming.
 So are the sunflowers. 
 And there are still lots of dahlias, zinnias and marigolds.
 Plenty for colorful bouquets all over. 





And LOTS of tomatoes! 

8 comments:

  1. Such a shame, after all your hard work. The flowers are looking wonderful, those little bouquets around your home are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have put an electric fence around the stream, the raccoons that are my nemeses have started doing similar damage to my lawn, I think they are looking for grubs. So sorry they're damaging some of your plants and leaving such a mess for you to deal with. At least you still have lots of bright, colorful flowers to turn into bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raccoons are so brash too! We had one early one morning and I took a broom to chase it away but it snarled at me, taking its time as it waddled off.
    Your flowers are still so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful arrangements of cut flowers always amaze me, beautiful. Now, about those raccoons, I had no idea they would dig up a yard like that. Are they really looking for worms.? Why are your worms better than your neighbor's, because you water them? I hate to deny anything a drink of water but that digging is a poor way to show their gratitude. Do they act like this the year around or just this time of year? Our son has a cherry tree where the raccoons have summer camp each year. It has so many cherries there's always been enough for them and the raccoons so they haven't done anything to break up their summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those rascally raccoons, they can do a lot of damage. Boooo I love those dahlias. I always want more when I see these beautiful bouquets that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, boy, I have been well acquainted with digging animal pests over the years. This summer we had neighborhood skunks (not only diggers but stinky as well) and I had to hire someone to trap an armadillo digging under my AC in Florida. Maybe should have waited until the armadillos float away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have racoons here yet. I'm not looking forward to their arrival. I know all too well what a nuisance they are. Your place is very attractive for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know they were such diggers. I've only had them eat my tomatoes. They sure are cute but destructive.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.