Friday, September 15, 2017

Critter Update

I know I have shared this before, but I still get lots of questions, so:
- We water our lawn through the summer, so we have worms and grubs and other goodies for the raccoons near the surface. No other yards in our neighborhood are watered, so the pickings are not good anywhere else.
-We don't dump chemicals on our soil to kill grubs because it will kill earthworms too and we don't want that. 
-In past years the raccoons only dug where moles had tunneled under the surface. This year it started out that way in late July, but then Tom trapped the most obvious mole and left the dead mole in the run, and that ended the moles in the lawn but the raccoons discovered they could dig quite well on their own. 
-I guess we have the choice next year of not watering the lawn, or just enough to keep it alive.

Olga, I loved your comment about a career in collecting coyote pee. I shared it at breakfast this morning, since we were all wondering the same thing. 

Since treating the lawn with the failed product, the raccoons seem to have decide to have a vendetta against us. This is how it looked this morning. 


I spent some time this morning patching it back in place, but it's quite a jigsaw puzzle. Each day we try to do some repair, but we'll really have to wait for a weather change. Rain, the first since June, is due this Sunday and into next week. When the green spaces and the woods and everywhere else start to green up again, the raccoons should leave us alone. 

12 comments:

  1. I think we are all awaiting this advertised soaking due this weekend. That's just awful what they've done to your yard, Linda. Maybe you gave the vitamins instead of deterrent, huh? Just kidding and hope it will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still waiting for rain here in SW Indiana. I hope you get your rain soon or you won't have any lawn left despite watering. This looks more like armadillo wreckage to me. I am so surprised that racoons do this to your lawn. I hope the raccoons around here won't read this and get any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame! I had no idea raccoons would dig up a lawn like that. You and Tom work so hard to keep things pretty. It must break your heart to look out the window and see what they've done. Hope they go away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pretty disheartening when you go out every day and find this mess. I guess you'll have to stay up at night and scare them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awful mess those Raccoons make. I wonder if one of those motion activated sprinklers would scare them away or just give them more reason to cavort around on your lawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea raccoons would dig up a lawn! I have a challenge every year to beat them to at least some of the corn in my garden, but have never had them dig up a lawn. Of course, we don't water our lawns - it's hard enough to keep up with the flowers and garden and the lawn will come back as soon as it rains. What a shame that the only green lawn in the neighborhood becomes their target!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny Marigold mentioned a motion activated sprinkler and I was thinking maybe a motion activated light but then I thought.... Halloween is coming! You could get a motion activated scary creature kind of like this cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283ojW8JgyA

    I don't know if it would scare the raccoons but it would sure scare me in the middle of the night! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a mess, who knew these little creatures were so destructive. Such a shame after all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, didn't know raccoons would do that! I have a "mole service" that kills them with poison worms. Costs a royal fortune. $250 for a year but they check and bait the tunnels every month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to suggest borrowing a large dog but a romping dog can do a lot of damage to flower beds; their pee, however, is free. If all else fails - http://www.wideopenspaces.com/favorite-raccoon-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen such destruction by raccoons. Mercy. Good to know at least that they may soon have somewhere else to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are a nuisance, I would dispatch them to raccoon heaven:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.