Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Preview: NWFGF

I took 245 photos today.

No, they are not all in this post.  I have just gone through and culled a few, maybe 50 or so. The rest will perhaps appear over time. 

This is the week of the big Northwest Flower and Garden Festival, an event looked forward to by many a garden enthusiast here in the Northwest. Last year my garden blogger friends Peter and Alison told me about the media preview, open to garden bloggers, so this year I applied for credentials. Today Tom and I went in for a media preview of the display gardens. Last minute primping was going on in the gardens and scoop loaders were scurrying around with loads of dirt - garden soil - but we got an opportunity to view the display gardens without the crowds in our way.

I'll be posting photos of the display gardens in the coming days, and we will actually be attending the show on Thursday. Today will just be a "preview".  (Click on any photo to make them bigger, for more detail.)
The entry garden in the lobby is presented by the Flower Growers of Puget Sound, and it is always a very special greeting and an amazing display of spring beauty. 









 This is the 30th anniversary of the show, so there is cake!

Marianne Binetti, local garden writer and host, was our guide through the display gardens. 
Here's a peek inside the display floor door. 
We had over an hour to view and photograph the displays, and then some of us lingered to see what else we could see. 
The floral arrangement contestants were setting up.



I got to talking with this young woman who asked my opinion about placing one last gloriosa lily 
She liked my suggestion and followed it. With the light coming in from the windows behind it is hard to photograph these arrangements, but they were all lovely. 

And then those windows drew me outside into the courtyard of the Convention Center,  also part of Freeway Park, which is built right over the I-5 freeway.

We loved this stone installation set in front of the Convention Center. Great contrasts in texture and form. 

Then we walked back up town to Westlake Park, and sat and rested our feet for ten minutes. It wasn't raining!!!!, so we had decided to walk down to The Market for lunch. 


These are hot house tulips, grown in greenhouses in the Skagit Valley, the same area where the tulip festival will be held in a month or two, 



We had lunch at Lowell's in the market. 
This was our view from our table. 

After lunch we walked through more of the Market


and up past the "flying fish" stand
then outside on the new Market extension with views of Elliot Bay
and the city.

We stopped in at Beechers to taste the Flagship Cheddar, and bought a wedge. 

Crab at Safeway, at $5.77 lb, is a much better deal than at the Market. 



Then we walked back up the hill to the light rail station and headed home. But since we couldn't get parking at the station this morning, we had another mile to walk back up hill to get home.

We got our exercise today. 

Stay tuned for more of the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival!

12 comments:

  1. What an exciting day! It all sounds like a world of fun for the two of you. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guys are more than ready for the season opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a special treat to see you at the preview today & you had a great idea to walk down to the market for lunch! I went to Swanson's and thought of going to another nursery but by then I was on plant overload. Look forward to seeing you at the show on Thursday! Tom and I didn't get to talk about Scheffleras today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you decided to apply for credentials this year and got to go to the preview. I hope you both enjoyed it. Sounds like you had a fun day. I hope I get to see you on Thursday. Mmmm, it's been a while since I've eaten at Lowell's, I bet that was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a feast for the eyes, stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It sounds like it was just up your alley, Linda. I love the preview and know I'll get to see it all through your camera eye. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your day was certainly full. Makes me want to go the the famous Philadelphia Flower show once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of that color. A feast for the eyes. Then the market...seeing those pictures made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fun spring displays and also love farmers market at pike's peak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was as intriguing as when we get out first seed catalogs while our foliage is still brown. It gives us hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess I will have to Google "Little Balls of death" Everything seems fairly expensive but it makes for beautiful displays of food:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother was so awed by all the flowers at that market. It was truly spectacular! And we'd love to go back to Skagit Valley some day.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.