Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting there

It took three weeks, but we are beginning to get back to normal after our renovation projects.

Yesterday Jill and her family came over in the afternoon to watch football and help move the rest of the heavy furniture back into the house.  Then Jan and Ann joined us for the first dinner in the "new" dining room.

So now the floors are done and we are very happy with them.

 Eventually we'll look for an area rug for the living room.



The shelving/cabinets for the fireplace wall are scheduled to be delivered Sept. 25th.
The furniture is back in place, and the cars are back in the garage.  Today I unpacked some boxes and began placing things back in the dining room and living room.  

Also today we spent hours cleaning upstairs.  Today we tackled our bedroom.  There was an appalling amount of dust under the bed and behind the furniture and in the corners.  Ugh!  Two more rooms to go, plus some closet cleaning.

Meanwhile, we have been approaching a record dry spell here in the Seattle area.  The record is 51 days.  On Saturday afternoon we sat in the hot sun to watch a Sounders victory.  By Sunday the temperature had dropped and clouds were moving in.  
 Overnight we got just enough rain, .02 inches, to officially break the drought short of the record, but with too little rain to make a difference.

You might be able to see a bit of moisture on the patio.
 We're kept the lawn and garden going with our watering system.
With the cooler temps, we haven't been eating lunch outside and spending time on the patio the last two days.  Josy wants us to come out and play like we usually do.  She spent a lot of time the last three weeks hiding out, trying to avoid all of the noise and the intruders in our house.  She's glad things are getting back to normal.
Now our computer is slowly dying.  Our tech guy, Tad has advised us to replace the CPU and selected one that would work for us at a decent price.  We have to order it online from Costco, which we did today.  It will take 10-15 days for delivery.  So we'll see if our not-so-old desktop hangs in there until then.  At least I still have my laptop.

We're getting there.

13 comments:

  1. Josy I know this time has been tough for you but those busy humans will soon be settling in for the winter. Life will be quieter & move at a slower pace. You'll be seeing a lot more of your humans. However, it's not a time to shower them with gifts, at least not the kind you're known to give.

    Linda it's all so beautiful. I'm so happy for you, but must admit, I covet your windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    Your lovely photo of the rain clouds inspired me to see figures within them . I have a FB page called Moon Art etc where i put photos where I see things within moons and clouds. Sylvia and now you figure there. Please have a look

    http://www.facebook.com/suranga.date.MoonArtEtc?ref=hl

    ugich aka suranga date
    mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I wish I had wooden floors, but I think carpeting is safer for people who are prone to falling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that was certainly worth the wait. Everything looks so fresh and new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your floors are gorgeous, beautiful. a drought huh! well enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a beautiful home! And that floor is wonderful. I'm so glad things are getting back to normal. I think we live on opposite ends of the acquisition scale! We have been getting rid of all furniture and moving to portable stuff! :-)

    Well, except for the bed. Gotta have a good one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been waiting for you to post the AFTER photos... but holey moley! This is just incredible! I called Art over right away to look at it and his first words were, "WOW!" It looks like it's straight out of the House and Garden magazine. The floors look fantastic, but your home decorating makes it just .... I've run out of adjectives! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the compliments, one and all. Yes, DJan, I am an accumulator. Truth is, I grew up quite poor, lots of us in a small, cluttered and unfinished house. Then there were the dorm years, and the apartment years. When I finally got the home I dreamed of, it still took many years before we could furnish it the way we wanted. So my home is very important to me, the way it looks and the way it feels, and the garden setting it's in. It took any years to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda,

    Everything turned out beautifully! You are almost done. I was thinking where are they going to sit and see the t.v., and then I spotted the comfy recliners. What a wonderful space that you have created for your family. I would love to lay down and read in your living room. And, of course, the outside is so pretty.

    Thank you so much for your kind words today. I added your comment into my blog.

    I appreciate you friendship very much.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! The floors are beautiful and it must be rewarding to see such nice results from all of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The remodel really turned out great! I love those stairs and all the wood floors.

    The rain was great, but like you say, not nearly enough. At least we are getting more dew now, which helps a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.