Thursday, May 2, 2013

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

I fear Seattle has made the national news again, and again not in a good way.

There was a time when May Day was not a day of protest.  It was a day to celebrate Spring, and flowers!  There were may baskets left on front doors, and even May Pole Dances.

This is a page in my high school senior yearbook, May 1, 1962.  We had a May Queen and King, a big assembly, and senior girls, dressed alike as partners, danced the May Pole dance.  I am in that photo somewhere, with my partner, Sandra.  Most of us made our own dresses.  The base of the pole was heaped with flowers gathered from yards in our small town in Oregon.  It was a lovely celebration.

When did we decide that May Day needed to become a protest day?  In Europe it is Labor Day, but we already had one of those.  

Several years ago the immigrant workers, legal and otherwise, decided this was their day to make a statement about immigration reform, and large rallies were held around the country.  They were peaceful.  Here in Seattle the custom has continued, and there was a large, permitted, peaceful parade of demonstrators during the day, which was over and cleared out by dinnertime.  

They have a point, of course.  We do need immigration reform, and we do need the labor force these workers provide.  A favorite placard, in this state that has just legalized marijuana, was "The Hell with Pot, legalize my Mom!"

But then the handful of Anarchists took over, aided by the street kids looking for a reason for some wilding.  The result was ugly.  The police, well prepared, held their ground, and with the use of bicycle barriers, pepper spray, and flashbangs, slowly cleared the streets, preventing damage to the downtown area.  It was all over by 9:00, as darkness fell.

Watching some of the live coverage on "breaking news", it seems there were about as many journalists and camera men as there were protesters. Actually there weren't protesters at all, just hooligans.  

Do we really have to put up with this every year now?

I want the flowers back.


10 comments:

  1. I read that in the paper this morning and was pretty disgusted. I've enjoyed the spontaneity of protests in Portland. (Texans don't do protests well.) Here they love to protest and will do so at the drop of a had, just name a cause. They were still marching to impeach Bush 3 days before he left office. I do not enjoy what happened in Seattle and I don't want them influencing the Portland protests but I suspect it's only a matter of time. It seems these days it's impossible to give people a voice without it being abused. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No protests here, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up I admired the non-violent demonstrators of the civil rights movement. I don't think violence solves any problems, and it sure doesn't win over hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in Rutland, Vt, where May 1st was a patriot parade day. Lots of flags and military vehicles. I had never heard of that before or since anywhere else. I do recall it had something to do with some show of force in Russia, but I have forgotten the details. I am quite sure that Rutland, VT was instrumental in the break-up of the Soviet Union though. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Linda, there are legitimate reasons to protest. However, so many of the protests get usurped by the hooligans. The only protest that really makes me take notice is a peaceful one. I also remember May Day events from my childhood that were fun and a celebration of spring. I want the flowers back too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems there were people intent on destruction, just as there seem to be more people like that everywhere. I'm sorry it has become a day of unrest and violence, too. I want the flowers back, too. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, having grown up during the make love not war protest days...things haven't changed much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame your May Day had to be marred with such unpleasantness. I didn't hear about it in the news here though.

    You make flowers look spectacular even when they're on their last legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been out of the loop, and hadn't heard about this yet. I just don't get those people.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.