Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Navigating

Whether you are trying to find covered bridges on back country roads, or searching through old records to find just that one name and date, it takes some navigating.  We did a lot of that today.

Skipping a morning walk today, and armed with a local map and brochure, we headed out into the country on a treasure hunt - finding covered bridges.


 You don't find covered bridges on highways.  The Pleasantville Bridge was so pleasantly surrounded by lush trees and old homes that it was hard to photograph.

I almost stepped on this as I was taking photos.  I had to look it up to confirm that it is a cicada, since we don't have them in our neck of the woods, but I sure heard them buzzing in the trees by the bridge.
Of course we were in farm country again, and we like to identify crops.  We think this is soybeans.  And more corn, of course.


The Griesemer's Bridge was right in a farm, with the old mill on one side, and cows on the other.




The small town of Oley was very picturesque.

The stone building is the remains of the mill at the Kutz's Mill Bridge.
 Yes, I did get out and walk through every one of them.
The Dreibelbis Station Bridge looked at first like it was the private driveway of this lovely old home.


 Yesterday we found confirmation of a family wedding in 1806 preformed by the pastor of this church, St. Paul's (Smoke) Evangelical Lutheran Church.  Today we found it.

 The word (Smoke) in the name has an uncertain history.  Either it refers to the smoke coming through the cracks in the first old log structure, or it refers to the fact that the men stood around and smoked while waiting for the circuit pastor to arrive.
 We drove through historic Hamburg, and then north through the gap in the Blue Mountain ridge of the Appalachians. 
On the other side we found another important family history church, the "Red Church", or Zion's Lutheran and Reformed Church.
It's hard to read the oldest date, but there are records going back to 1755.
 On to Pottsville, where we were ready when the  Schuylkill County Historical Society opened at 1:30.

It is housed in an old Grammar School for girls, dating to 1863.

Just one of the volumes of records we navigated here.
 We still do not have the proof we seek, but we got a few more bits and pieces to the puzzle.
 The Schuylkill County Courthouse is quite grand.  We didn't go in here, but we did go to the library nearby.

But by then we had found all there was to find for now, and we were weary, so we quit for the day, and found an alternate route to take back to Reading and our hotel.

After dinner I went for a twilight walk in a neighborhood on a hill above our hotel.  I saw fireflies!  That's another bug we don't have at home.


12 comments:

  1. Very interesting what you have to do to track down history! Definitely not for the faint of heart. But what a great way to find interesting churches, libraries, courthouses, etc. Good luck in your search. I've heard cicadas a lot, but never knew what they looked like. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love a covered bridge! Those old buildings are wonderful..thanks for sharing your trip..history must just ooze all over on the east coast:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, fantastic photos, Linda. I'm always in awe of people who are able to post while traveling because I'm so tired by the end of the day. I do love fireflies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kay. I am amazed how you manage such a lovely post after such long days.
    Love those covered bridges. We used to love riding our bikes over one that had wood plank flooring. Bumipity- bump.
    Family history hunting has to be interesting detective work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More great photos. I feel like I am on vacation with you. I am enjoying "our" trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember another covered bridge trip you took a while ago, they are so neat! You found some really picturesque sights, Linda. And hopefully you are a little bit closer to the information you seek. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. fireflies, cicadas, covered bridges and ancestors what a marvelous vacation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Kay and Patti. You're a pretty amazing person to put together such wonderful posts after a full day of exploration! Covered bridges always remind me of my family in Vermont and how much my mother and grandmother loved them (C.B's.) I remember fireflies but we called them lightening bugs (don't know why.) How amazing to walk on land that nourished your husbands ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are covering a lot of territory. The covered bridges never cease to amaze and delight me. It looks as if you are finding great sources of information for your research. I hope all your questions are answered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tour you are taking us on. Love the covered bridges and I am a patsy for old churches. Quite the different architecture than we have out our way. great shots. Now go take a nap. LOL MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely area. And all those covered bridges, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually when I first saw the covered bridges I thought you might have been in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.