Sunday, September 8, 2013

Checking In

It has been a good weekend here in Seattle   The rain has dried up,  and the sun and warm weather have returned.. Looks like we'll have summer back all week!

My time was measured around sports events.  Friday night we went to Tad and Jake's house to watch the US Men's National Soccer Team match against Costa Rica in the qualifying round for the international Gold Cup.  Unfortunately the US lost, but will play on, meeting Mexico next week in Columbus, Ohio.

Saturday evening we joined 38,00 soccer friends for a Sounders match.  It was hard fought and tense, but fortunately, the Sounders won, and have now pulled themselves up into second place.  It should be an exciting two more month of Seattle soccer.

Of course that other football, the US style, started this weekend.  I was up at 8:00 this morning, late for me, got in a 3.25 mile walk, and was in my recliner for the 10:00 Seahawks game against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte.  And yes!  Seattle won that one too!

I'm not sure what I did with my time in between these events - some reading, some exercising, some TV, some blogging and Facebooking, oh, and some on-line shopping.

We have decided it is time to join the modern era again and get smart phones.  I am really interested in the new Nokia Windows phone, but only AT&T carries service for it.  

I have read some reviews for phones and service providers, and the more I read, the more confusing it becomes.

How about some input.  What smart phone do you have?  Do you like it?  I want a good camera in my phone.  Does yours have one?  What service provider do you use, and are you happy with the cost and the service?  What kind of data plan do you have?

Any information you can supply will be appreciated and considered.

And with that, I'll be signing off for a few days.  In the morning, we are going to Whidbey Island for a late summer vacation, and so Tom can do a few fix-it projects.  I plan to be lazy.  I'll take my lap top, but will only be connected if we get to a coffee shop where there is Wifi.  See, that's why I need a smart phone!

I hope you are enjoying the last few official weeks of summer too.


10 comments:

  1. Our phone service is with Consumer Cellular - no contract, reasonable prices, FABULOUS customer service. They offer phones for sale, or you can buy a SIM card from them for the phone you buy yourself.

    I have all Apple products so I have an iPhone and use iCloud to sync everything up. My brother-in-law has all non-Apple and he has an Android phone using Google to sync everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no phone I or smart, just a regular one on the wall and I would like to rip that one out! Sorry no help here...but I hope you have a great little vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an iPhone and a contract with Verizon. A friend bought a phone through a MVNO (look it up on line to learn about it) called H2O operated through At&T. He pays very little for his plan, and since he bought his phone (he was able to transfer his number to it), he pays something like $10/month for everything. I am planning to do the same thing once my contract runs out. And he has no contract! I pay $30/month just for my 2GB data plan, and I only use a small fraction of it, but it's the lowest level available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. our summer continues but we have rain and more rain-a shock in our desert area but we're enjoying it. I don't have a smart phone-sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have a smart phone. I can call or text and take a picture on the phone I do have. I also use Consumer Cellular. They actually talked me out of a smart phone when they asked how I would use it. There is a hole in phone service over Jericho Center--much to the annoyance of anyone who visits here. It drives service guys crazy. The advantage for Consumer Cellular for me is that I can increase or decrease the plan. There is not a point to having unlimited minutes here at home since I would not be able to use them. However, in Florida, it is what we use--no land line there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no experience or advice on the smart phone issue but I can wish you a relaxing time on the island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems that ever since Pete Carroll was hired, the Seattle Seahawks have done much better. Good luck to them! Enjoy your stay on the island, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of the sunflower is stunning.

    I have an iPhone. I fought having an iPhone tooth and nail because I was a confirmed Blackberry user for a very long time. Now, I am on my second iPhone, the latest version. I do really love it. I use a Mac, so the phone is compatible with my computer. We had an android for one day, the first day they came out. We took it back the next day because it was not compatible with our computers. I think that is an important feature.

    I love the iPhone for the following reasons: I can easily and cheaply message my children or others who also have iPhones. I can take awesome photos and videos with it. I can take quick notes on it. I can keep my calendar easily and easily sync the calendar to my computer. My husband can easily send his appointments to my calendar. My contacts are easy to access, and they are also easily synced to my computer. I have apps that I love on it: a medical app that tracks my blood sugar levels, weight, blood pressure and etc. An app that takes my pulse (I have tacycardia issues). I love the dictionary on my phone & use it all the time when I am reading. I also love being able to access Google on my phone if I am reading and want to look something up quickly while I am reading. Those are only a few of the great apps that I use.

    We use Verizon and have for years. My husband takes care of the plan details. It costs us each about $60 a month for all service. I know that is expensive, but it is really the only phone I use. I seldom use our land line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you've already seen my post about why I'm loving my iPhone. I believe my techie son-in-law has an Android that he's happy with also. I have AT&T because that's the plan our son-in-law has and we're under his family plan. Art says Verizon and Sprint are also good. I found this website that might help figure out what the coverage is like for your area: http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you two, enjoy your island stay. I miss going to Whidbey to see my Mother. I miss the island and it is so close so why don't I just pop over and drive around? don't know.
    I have an iphone by apple. It take the best pictures and that to me is the best thing about it. my old phone did a lot of stuff too but the pics are great and you can zoom and edit also. Probably more stuff but I haven't learned it all yet. So enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.